You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Saturday, December 20, 2008

Elephant Hill

I grew up in Northern New Mexico (Gallup to be exact). It wasn't flat country at all, in fact it was quite hilly. There was this one hill close to where my Great Grandma Viola lived called Elephant Hill. We used to beg mom or dad (whoever was driving) to take us home by way of that hill so we could "tickle our tummies." I loved it! In fact, I love a lot of things about my childhood. I will list just a few for posterity's sake: *Stick racing with Scottie in the rain in our swimming suits, * playing doctor with Lynn and making her drink pickle juice, * sharing a room with Tricia and playing the "cold pillow" game, *sharing a room with Lynn and dividing it down the middle and telling her that the door was on my side so she could never leave, * finding the "sleeping drunk guy" wtih scottie under the bush at the building we cleaned, * going to Jason's basketball games and loving "being cool" at the high school when I was in elementary school, *going to chop wood with dad on a school day, *planting flowers with mom along our driveway. These are just a few. ;)

This morning Hunter wanted to play "Name that Tune" with primary songs. So, I sat at the piano with Dallin on my lap and played it while Hunter and Gwendalin tried to guess which primary song the notes were from. It was a fun morning. I am in hopes that my kids will remember things like that in the same way I remember Elephant Hill.

Here are some pictures of them after I left to go shower...Hunter became the primary pianist (remember he doesn't really play) and Gwendalin the primary chorister. Hunter played whatever notes he wanted and sang the songs that he new - they didn't quite match up, but it was cute nonetheless. Notice that Gwennie is leading the songs that come out of the Book of Mormon. :)




5 comments:

The Gibbens said...

I love it! go ahead and Name that Tune!!! (remember that gameshow?)... I hope our kids have good, fun memories like we do- I'm sure they're playing games we don't even know about (I doubt mom and dad knew about "cold pillow," right? Thanks for the memories sister!

Jake and Lynn said...

seriously, I was such a tortured sibling...drinking pickle juice, not having the door on my side, having you wake me up out of a deep sleep just to see if i was awake. What great memories!

slades said...

OK , what is "cold pillow">? THey are such fun memories. playing primary songs and leading the music is soooo neat. thanks for reminding us of these experiences we had. Remember the sliding window screen in the main bedroom you all shared?

heatherann said...

So, you were that kind of older sister.. I had the same kind, she got the door to. I now know that your poor little sister truly was tortured! :)

Heidelweiss said...

I love the childhood memories. How cute that Gwennie was leading music out of the Book of Mormon. Great music in there ;). I also love the slide next to the piano. It cracks me up what items become fixtures in a house when you become a parent. So cute.