You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Monday, December 8, 2008

Barely...

So if you talk to people who know me well at all, they might tell you I am a bit obsessive compulsive. I might tell you that I am completely obsessive compulsive. Since the birth of Dallin, I have been on function mode, but barely getting by. You see I am the kind of person who likes things done when I see that they need done: dusting, bathrooms, vacuum, etc. I can't stand messes and thus they rule my life because I am trying to constantly keep my house looking like a model home. I recognize that flaw in my personality...because really who cares? I have 4 kids...my house is going to have toys on the floor and sticky spots and dust, and pee on the toilet seats. So with that in mind I will continue. I have barely been functional since Dallin was born, I get things done, but not like I did when I just had 3. I did get the Christmas tree up but it doesn't look "pretty-" it looks like kids helped...and I'm glad about that...even for the knitted baby hat thrown at the top to sit by the angel. I decided in light of my disorder that I won't put everything out for Christmas, just the tree and stockings. I have 3 bins full of Christmas decor, but if I put it up, I have to take it down, and I don't have the energy.

Needless to say I have passed the OCDness on to at least 2 of my children. We constatly have a crisis...whether it be over the way the shoelaces hang on the shoes (Hunter), or if it is getting socks off in the perfect manner (Tyler).

If there is a silver lining to this nuroces (Nyur-oh-sees) ( I don't know if I spelled that right)...then it is that I have had children and this 4th one has helped me let lots of the crazy lady syndrome go by the wayside. For instance, I walk by my bookcases and see that they are dusty and think...I will do them later and I get them done within a few days of noticing rather than RIGHT THEN. I don't do laundry every day all day, it's okay to have dirty clothes in the dirty clothes bins when I go to bed at night. I still do clean my bathroom and the kids bathroom at least weekly, because well, I just won't compromise on that. However, I have decided that it's okay not to have the perfect house all the time, because my kids are getting big too fast and I'd rather play with them...

Now just so you understand, I am not healed by any means, but I have been enlightened and hopefully will continue to be. I will let the little things be, and they won't consume me, instead I will read books with my kids, make cookies, let them sleep in sheets that weren't washed that week- I can wash them the next week. So, during this holiday season, I am grateful for four kids who have helped me refine myself to be not so crazy.

Sock Trauma....it wouldn't come off right...

New Christmas dress from Ree....

Baby Blue eyes...

Texas kept getting in bed with Hunter, and Hunter kept coming in to tattle, finally Hunter quit coming in, we thought it was taken care of and Tex was in his bed, but when we checked them later here they were. Hunter told us the next day that he was too tired and didn't want Tyler to be sad so he just let him lay by him....:)

14 comments:

heatherann said...

I am so thankful to hear someone else talk about those things. You see, I to suffer from those exact things. If it needs to be done, you do it now, no need to wait. Luckily it only took me 2 babies and a husband to help clarify the issue. Not cured either but definately getting through it. SO thank you Marie for helping me realize I am some what normal!

Love the tree hat! I can't wait to see how ours turns out!
Happy not cleaning,
Heather

Heidelweiss said...

So cute. I'm just the same way-get it done now! My recent pain issues have made me chuck that by the wayside and you should see the "model home" now! It's a disaster but at least I read to my kids today! Hooray for just getting by!

Heather said...

Ok so the twins have done it to me. My house is no means as clean as I would like it,but I don't want my kids to think all I do is clean the house - the won't remember that they had a spotless house but they will remember the fun times we had. I keep trying to tell myself that!

slades said...

I love the story about "T" Tyler Texas and Hunter. What a sweet older brother. I am glad that you are working on the OCD now and not later.

The {Prince} Family said...

We are the same girl! I had NO problem keeping up with 3 but now that I have 4? Forget it. Sad that it took me 4 kids to let things go but I am glad I at least learned right?

One day at a time, that is my new motto :)

Jake and Lynn said...

Glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery, maybe it will help take the pressure off me to try and keep up with you:) because seriously you are always on the go. Who cares about Christmas Bins when you've got the ctuest kiddos to help in making christmas cookies, or just to hang out.
P.s. why does Hunter call him Texas?

SladeMomma said...

I finally have a few minutes tonight to catch up on blog reading. Miss a week or two and everybody's kids grow up. It's amazing. All my kids are grown way up and gone and the dust didn't go with them. I wish somebody would clean it all up - that would be a wonderful Christmas present - but I am very good at ignoring it. Maybe that comes with age.

The Gibbens said...

Love this post! Glad that you are learning to let some things wait- take it from your big sister- they'll ALL be there tomorrow... and a lot of days the laundry wins... I'm having a great deal of difficulty keeping up with 3 now... I was just getting the hang of keeping up with 2- you know forming better habits, etc... Here's hoping that it gets better...

Melissa said...

I think 4 has definitely been the hardest. And just when I got the hang of it, I started working. CRAZY. The other thing that helped was my husband saying, If you do it all the time, they'll never learn to help. So I try to ignore the messes and remember to just enjoy the moment.

Meg said...

I know that feeling of, "Okay, it just won't get done...and that's okay." You're so smart to just get out the Christmas tree and socks. That is so cute about Hunter letting Tyler sleep by him.

Marie said...

Dood, I love everything about you including your OCD. At least we know we are crazy. And at least you are getting better :)
I love your kids...they are darling, and Gwennie looks BEAUTIFUL in her new dress. SO worth it!

Grimsley Gang said...

girl, i wish i was ocd! i have only 3 kids, but when it was just me n jimmy, i still didnt dust on the regular or do laundry everyday. (the whole bathroom thing i can understand, but i WILL let jimmy do it on his day off once a week. other than that hes got garbage and what...his xbox? too easy to be a guy! cute christmas pics too! love em. totally jealous of all your boys!

JakenDebbie said...

We all have our little quirks, right? The good thing is when we realize where they need fixing and then work on it -- without stressing ourselves out even more! It's all good. :)

Your kids are so dang cute. I love the new Christmas dress...so pretty! I can imagine there are some advantages to being the only girl in the family! And I love the picture of the boys in bed together...I hope my Tyler gets to have a brother someday. :)

Gretch said...

I hear ya Sista!!! But I had to give up after just 3. Someday, I tell myself~someday my house will look the way I want. Until then I'll enjoy the journey!