You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Saturday, March 27, 2010

Improving Skills

So, in my look for employment, I have had to update my resume (significantly) get certified in typing, meet with several "temp" agencies, and find time to remain sane. On the bright side, while I was testing to become a "certified typist" - it sounds so official...but hey with the government you have to be certified, anyway, I have learned to love taking free little typing tests online to practice. I feel like I have improved quite a bit. When I took the "certifiable" test it was 10 minutes long - I had to type at least 40 WPM with 3 or less word errors. Sounds easy, but when they don't allow you to backspace to fix mistakes, it sucks! I am happy to report that I did do fine and my certificate is in the mail: 69 WPM @ 96% accuracy.

I have been coached and recoached on how to interview properly. You see there are mistakes that can be made in interviews and I've learned all about how to sell myself!

These "improvements" are not necessarily things I thought I needed to improve on - or cared to improve on, but when you are looking for jobs that make certain amounts -you have to be qualified. (Daycare is spendy...)

Anywho...it's been a road. Can't really say what kind of road...don't really care at this point - just going through the motions. But hey - I am now officially a "certified typist." (BTW - if that is one of your life long goals to become one, it only costs $10 and you get 3 ten minute trys to get your best score.)

5 comments:

katie said...

Oh, Marie,,isn't it amazing how even when we feel we are at our lowest point something GREAT can come of it? Isn't it amazing how new talents can come to the surface? Things we never thought we were capable of doing suddenly become not only within our reach but can become a talent!!! I am so proud of you and all that you are trying to accomplish. Remember it is all temporary. Love ya!!

Katie

Amy said...

wowza. 3 word errors. If you'll send your resume, I will forward it on to some meeting planner folks I know. they are always looking for someone to do the management of attendees through excel, the emailing of meeting kits and stuff. A lot of time they will forward you emails from attendees and have you email them various things and info they need to attend the conference. It's not complicated and you can do it from home. Mostly everything is done through email and you can often do it any time of the day. As long as the attendees get taken care of within 48 hours, it's usually fine. sometimes you might have to travel for three days to a conference to help out onsite but you'd know the dates and location at least a year in advance. It's a lot of fun and can lead to meeting consulting work running the exhibit hall, helping out sponsors, working with the sign makers or speakers etc. It's what I did for years in DC (in an office) and then from home for 3 years in Nebraska.

The Gibbens said...

I don't think I've ever before known a "certified typist!" I'm so excited!!! I mean, I knew all along that you were certifiable!!! ;-)

Marie said...

Dood, you're awesome!

JakenDebbie said...

I LOVE that title. I might consider trying for that myself. :) I'm sorry you have to deal with this...I hope all is going well! Love you!