You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dear Gwendalin


Dear Gwendalin,

Tonight my thoughts are all on you while I write this letter. You are such a special daughter! I was thrilled when I found out I was getting a girl. I loved being able to paint your toenails and put headbands in your hair and doll you up. I still love doing those things. It's fun to do "girlie" stuff with you.
You are a strong willed girl which I am so glad for and also sometimes upset over. I know that it will be a great benefit to you when you are faced with adversity and have to stand up for what is right. Sometimes that strong will pushes every button I have though. :)

I love that you love to sing. Hearing you in your room with you microphone singing or "hosting" some event is so much fun. I picture you every time sitting in front of your closet mirror watching yourself give the concert. It's darling!
You have such a maternal instinct already. You are so good with Dallin and with Tyler. Always making sure they have what they need/want. They love you for that. I love you for that. It's nice to know that you like to play with them and don't mind watching them when you're outside with your friends.


You are such a helper! Any time there is something to be made in the kitchen you are right there, pulling the chair over so you can see what's happening on the counter and asking for your apron to be able to help - someday you will make someone a great wife....someday- when you're like 32.


I adore your love of texting and always wanting my phone to text someone even though all you right is "Gwendalin" and then you send it.


You have such a big heart and are so thoughtful. You are always concerned for other people. When Nancy passed away, you were concerned for Bill. When someone is sick you always remember them in your prayers. What a gift! Your sincerity is a trait that most of the world lacks.


I love how you smack your lips while you're talking, I think it's to get your point across. But it's very endearing and makes you sound leaps and bounds older than you really are.


Someday you will look back at being 5 and won't remember that every time you saw a phone you picked it up and called dad...even if you have nothing to say but "I love you." You call him any chance you get.


You are a princess, or maybe a sleeping beauty. You love to sleep - in fact, you are my sleeper inner. Even when your brothers are up in the morning you don't care and will sleep sleep sleep.


It's crazy that you love that pink blanket so much....but I know it brings you comfort so as long as it stays in your room and not all over my house it's okay...and if you don't suck your thumb when you have it. :)


Gwennie, you are a beautiful beautiful girl. So much spunk! So much energy. You are starting to notice boys and when they come to the house you get "flirty" - you run away or say something very intellectual - what a sweet girl you are.


I am proud of you - that you always want to do what's right and obey Heavenly Father. I love your determination to try to learn the Articles of Faith with Hunter. I love how thoughtful you are when you pray!


I hope as you grow we stay close and have fun "girl" times when the boys are at Father and Sons or hunting, or whatever... I love you sweet girl!




2 comments:

Gretch said...

What a sweetheart! And what a great idea to write your children! I might just have to copy the idea. :-) It was nice to read about Gwendalin and get to know her better through your letter.

The Gibbens said...

What a sweet letter, what a sweet girl... what a sweet mama. Thanks for helping me "wash" my eyes this morning!