You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Parenting Plan



So, when my mother and father-in-law were here, my mother-in-law bought me a book on parenting from Deseret Book. I have started reading it and decided that I really do need to have a long term plan - not just a fly by my seat each day plan for raising my kids. It has brought me back to a reality that society in general is lazy and kids are being raised that way. So, I am in the process of making a "Training Chart" for each of my kids not a "Chore Chart" because they are not chores any more - the tasks are "training" so that when we get big we can do things by ourselves. It will be interesting to see if I can stick with it and make some progress. Anyway, it makes sense to have some sort of a plan rather than just hoping I can make it through the next hour...(even though I know I will still have some of those moments). I have already been surprised at how well Hunter and Gwennie have enjoyed doing some "training" activities each morning before school. Hopefully, long term I can have productive citizens that are fully competent hard working individuals. This parenting thing is a lot more WORK than I ever anticipated, but as I told my visiting teacher today - I wouldn't like to be doing anything else with my time right now, so I guess I'll make the most of it. :) I love my little ones...they drive me nuts, make me insane, and keep me young! What fun they are.

3 comments:

Jake and Lynn said...

Parenting Plan Sounds like a good idea. Also I like the first duvet the best. And you should look at my blog again, you just got tagged!!!

slades said...

I am interested in the plan I wish i had a plan when I was raising kids. I did fly by the seat of my pants and tried to glean from others that seemed to have good ideas. I would have liked more direction earlier.

Gibbens said...

What is the book? I think i must need it for my lazies!