You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hardships...

I was rocking Dallin today and realized as he slept in my arms how incredibly lucky I am to have 4 healthy kids and a healthy husband. There are so many things going on in our lives at the moment and sometimes it takes a few quiet moments rocking one of my kids to realize that the things that matter the most are just fine.

I tend to get very anxious over things I can not control. For instance, the economy at the moment is in a bit of chaos. We own our own business and are finding it harder and harder to make ends meet. So then the questions arise, should we just walk away from everything we have worked so hard for? Our house, credit, etc. We take a lot of comfort in knowing that we are not the only ones in the situation that we find ourselves. In fact, there are so many that we know of that are struggling as well. It wasn't bad decisions that we have made because we have felt that the Lord has been a part of all of our decisions and we have heeded His counsel. However, it doesn't make it any easier to know that we are the brink of possibly losing many of our material possessions. We already have cut back in so many areas, that now we are just playing the waiting game to see what will come for us next. I know that we will be taken care of, the Lord hasn't forgotten us. Travis tries very hard to do what is right in His sight, it's just hard to have things out of my control. I don't do well without a solid plan to follow. But like I said to start, my family is healthy and safe and we have a place to live with food to eat, what is more important than that? Nothing.

12 comments:

The Gibbens said...

Faith... it's hard. Perspective... comes in spurts. Blessings... come every day, we cant' forget that. It is hard- and one of the things is just how badly you and I wanted success for our husbands, for their own sense of value and accomplishment- I'm sure you feel like I do that to lose it all, or a lot of it- you worry how they'll internalize that...

Melissa said...

We've been there, in some ways we are still there. I have been amazed at how many of us are all in the same position and I really thought all my friends had so much more and none of the worries or stress I did. I was wrong. We are all facing such similiar trials and worries. Hang in there.

heatherann said...

Amen to what you have both said. Sometimes we feel so alone in our situations but it seems like there are a lot of us in this boat. If you need a life raft or at least a big hug, we can help.
I am SO thankful for a sweet baby to rock and take my mind off of things. And for a sweet son who makes me laugh every day. BLESSIGNS!

Heidelweiss said...

I'm so sorry. Things really stink right now. A lot of people are losing their homes in our neighborhood. These are not irresponsible people that got in over their heads, things just went wrong. I see a lot of dad's selling their cars and driving motorcycles to work. What is that? What are they going to do when the fluffy stuff comes and stays for 4 months? I feel terrible and I get very worked up about it but then I always think what is the point in getting worried about something I can do NOTHING about? Just remember what most of the conference talks addressed-hope.

Brigg and Dianne said...

I know exactly how you are feeling. And the waiting game is a very hard game to play. But the Lord certainly does watch over us. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Amy said...

Your post really moved me to tears. I know it was short and sweet but I felt a sincere need to repent after reading it. I got sorta angry because I didn't feel like a lot of my family or friends put the war as the first of their concerns in the recent election. Didn't they know this was affecting my life and taking the girl's Dad away and causing our family major hardships and saddness? The economy for me was an nonissue because my husband is basically owned by our government. He owes them many more years of service in repayment for his medical education. The military is in desperate need of Family Physicians so we will have a job as long as we need it. The government subsidises our income with cost of living increases as goods and services and housing go up in the country and we can buy a lot of those goods and services from the military like groceries from the commissary, estee lauder fromt the BX, gas on base. So because of this I haven't given much thought to the economy and how it is affecting people. Then I read your post and I just felt so strongly that I've been so selfish and self centered and how truly deeply this is affecting tons of people that we love and causing them to fear for their futures and security. So here we sit, I'm scared for Mike's safety but know deep down he'll be okay. And here you guys sit, being deeply affected by the economy and unsure of the future. It's just as scary. So my prayers go out to you and I will try and be more thoughtful of how issues affect families that I previously hadn't given a lot of attention to. We will pray for you guys.

Robby and Mary said...

It's so hard to see someone so smart and talented as Travis have the hardship he's had to deal with in his company due to the economy. He is such a great guy and you are a great woman with such big hearts. Keep the strength in the faith. LOL

jolleyzoo said...

What more to say than..........

JUST BELIEVE.

Marie said...

Dood,
You have such a great attitude. I know that things pile up sometimes and you find yourself crying in the shower while you're shaving your legs because you're so overwhelmed. You really are doing the right things in your life and no matter what happens, you can know that you everything you did was right. Life kinda sucks right now and its really scary. I know how I feel, and I don't have a family to worry about. I wish I could do more for you. I miss you so much & I wish i could be there with you to tell you that everything will be ok.
Hang in there Dood, you can do it!

JakenDebbie said...

It's amazing how our children can be the ones to get us through some of the toughest times...and they don't even know they are doing it. I have recently come to realize that everyone is going through hard times in one form or another. Thankfully, we have our faith as a foundation. It's amazing how that gets us through. There's always another mountain to climb...at least we know that, somehow, we can do it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...it's always great to see the good in everyone's life, but also good to remember that there are hard times, too. :)

Melissa Bosen said...

Marie,
I just read Elder Maxwell's quote today about how faith in God includes faith in his timing. I think most of us are playing the waiting game...scared to do something drastic, but scared of not doing the right thing or at the right time. Every one of us SHOULD be affected by the ecomomy crisis because if it's not hurting you, then you need to be helping others who are hurting. I think we all need to cut back and be more humble in our spending. Some will be required to give up more than others...and it may not be a reflection of spending habits or poor choices...just circumstances. Some people may have done everything right and will still lose their homes, while others may have made sloppy, arrogant choices and will somehow be able to hold on to theirs. That's just life. But there are always blessings when we follow what the Lord prompts us to do. Have faith in that. You guys are amazing! Have hope!!

Jake and Lynn said...

What a crazy time it really is in this world right now. Thank goodness for our oblivious children who love us no matter what, and thank goodness for the gospel that gives us perspective that we wouldn't normally have. YOu are are great example to me.