You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Monday, November 10, 2008

Remember When....

Okay here is a list of "Remember Whens" that have been going through my head lately. I may add more later, but I just thought I'd jot these while I was thinking about them.



Remember when you had Family Home Evening and learned about the Tree of Life and your kids held onto the broom (Iron Rod) for dear life to get to the candy (fruit) at the end of the rod?






Remember when you thought your mom had kids so they could do all the work and she wouldn't have to do any? Oh and then you had your own kids and realized you were wrong when you thought that?

Remember when you learned the song Fifty Nifty United States in grade school and your husband learned it too and you sing it in the car together just for laughs? And then you sing it to your two year old when he gets out of the bath and he laughs hysterically causing a chain reaction of laughter?

Remember when you thought you could keep your house clean when you had kids, and then you had kids and realized that was a falsehood?

Remember when you thought your mom made the best dinners and was so on top of life in general and then you became a mom and realized that all moms just fly by the seat of their pants and usually think about dinner five minutes before dinner time?

Remember when you thought wearing "clicky" shoes was fun and you wore them just to hear them click on any occasion, not just for church, and now putting on any dress shoes makes your feet hurt at the thought?

Remember when you thought your parents were so mean for not letting you do one thing or another and now you find your kids saying your the meanest mom ever for getting the wrong kind of juice or something small?

Remember when you love being alive because the adventures are just so much fun that you find yourself loving that you got to have one more day with the people you adore?

Remember when you thought you'd never feel comfortable with any of your in-laws and now some of them are your dearest friends?

Remember when you were in high school and the biggest challenge was what you were going to wear or what you would say to the crush of your life, and now the challenge is just getting dressed because it's a task to look cute when you juggle 4 kids? :)

Remember when you thought you'd be the one that "bounced right back" after having a child and you struggle to lose any of your baby weight? Now you have a new respect for all women who bear or have born children.

Remember when you didn't want Obama to win for president, but then he did and you cried and then decided to pray for him rather than be upset?

LIFE IS GOOD! WE ARE BLESSED!

12 comments:

Marie said...

Remember when you thought you were the coolest because you got the secret recipe to the Neiman Marcus cookies and then you broke your mom's bosch trying to make them and then you realized that it wasn't such a secret recipe after all?
Remember when you thought 7:30am was early and your friend would come over to go walking and you were barely awake and asked her, "why are you here?" and now you think 7:30am is sleeping in?
Remember when you couldn't lose the baby weight and then you remembered that you're almost 30 years old and you never had a baby to begin with? HA!

SladeMomma said...

I'm finally taking a few minutes - late night - to catch up on blogs. I'm thinking, REMEMBER WHEN I had time for this. It's mid-semester crunch time. But still I love reading about your cute family. It brings back memories of times past. And I can't believe how little Dallin has grown. Blink and he's big!

Heidelweiss said...

That's a great post. You did bounce right back, by the way. You look awesome! You cried over Obama winning? I didn't want him to win either but that just struck me as funny! I'm having a bit of a giggle on your behalf right now. I'm glad you're praying for him. He'll need it. Just remember how our country works-checks and balances. Don't get worked up over the crazy emails everyone is sending (if you're getting the same ones I am). He can't just do whatever he wants. He's not a King. He's just a President. My soap box is over now.

JakenDebbie said...

Sounds like you and I are on the same wavelength these days. I have been totally going down memory lane. I've been reading my old journals from high school...some of it's really embarrassing, some of it is hilarious, and most of it is just wonderful memories. Here's something funny I just read. When we were freshman, during Youth Conference, we had a special guest speaker...Larry Chesley. I thought that was funny and wondered if you remembered that. Oh, and I cried, too, when Obama won. :)

The {Prince} Family said...

SUPER cute post Marie! I may have to borrow it :)

I love to play the "remember when" game with my husband & sisters. I've got one for you... remember when us two little twigs ran track together at good ol' Mesquite Jr. High? hahaha! I just looked up your 7th grade pic & your pic reminded me of mine! Tiny, petite, dirty blonde frizzy hair :) Except you had glasses. Too cute!

And I am sure after 4 kids, you are as tiny as you have always been.

Jake and Lynn said...

I love that post. I love memories. And I love that you and Travis sing that song together sometimes, that cracks me up. Remember when we shared a room and lived by each other. Well we don't have to share a room these days but I wish we lived by each other. Miss you!!!

JakenDebbie said...

Here's another good one...Remember when we were getting ready for the Christmas dance our Junior year and you were riding in the car with Carrie (Losacker) and she got pulled over and the cop thought you looked like a runaway that they were looking for. Ha ha!! We had some good times!

slades said...

Remember when I used to comment on your blog. Remember when we used to have time to just sit and talk uninterupted. Remember when we lived in the house on Linda and you put the thermometer by the stove in the family room so you would have a fever. Remember when you would jump on the trampoline with Jason and his friends. Remember Ming. and Remember when you took on the mean girl that was harassing your siblings. Remember when is fun sometimes to remember, but not get too sad.. only fine memories

Mary said...

Remember when you had 1 kid and you rode in your friends car (friend with more kids) and you would see crackers smashed in the carpet, sticky finger prints on the windows, shoes and diapers smashed under the seats and you thought, "my car will NEVER look like this!" I always thought your car was a reflection on how you maintained your house. Now i just don't care what kind of relection it is...it's just life with kids. LOVED THIS POST. YOu are so funny.

TheSlades said...

nice post murrie. i like to remember when. . .

The Gibbens said...

That was a good one! What made you think to do a post like this? It was fun to read sister...

Brigg and Dianne said...

I really enjoyed that! I think I'll do something like that on my blog soon. Love and miss you!