You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Long Rambling Post

Such random thoughts have gone through my head lately about what to blog about this week....hmm...

First I have been craving cream of wheat cereal a lot lately. I don't know if it's becuase I really like it ( I do of course) or if it simply reminds me of simpler times as a kid. We always had some sort of hot cereal growing up and only got cold cereal on the weekends...which we looked forward to. Now that I am in the mother shoes I stink the breakfast thing. My kids eat yogurt or cold cereal they don't like hot cereal. I should've started hot cereal long ago, but that means getting up earlier and at the moment, not something I can do very well.

Why is it that men seem to have hobbies that continue even after they get married? I don't resent them for it, I just wonder what happened to all of mine after I got married, except that I realize my new hobbies are my kids. This thought occured to me a few years back when Travis' grandfather died. On his headstone it had a picture of an airplane ( he loved to fly) and a picture of an elk (he loved to hunt) and a few years later when his grandmother died she had a picture of the temple on hers. She had made the comment shortly after her husband's death that there would be nothing to put on her headstone because she didn't have hobbies like he did...and then she said - " I guess my family is it." Thus, the temple picture on her half of the headstone. I wonder what will be on mine? Hot cereal perhaps? A temple? A lawnmower? (I love mowing the lawn). My husband loves to hunt and this is the season he looks forward to all year...Elk. He has been getting his pack ready for about 6 weeks now and it's contents: Clothes, first aid, gear, etc are strewn about my whole house. Now this part of his hobby is not my favorite...it's cluttery and it lasts forever even after he gets home and it doesn't get immediately put away. Anyway, he is also exercising like a maniac to be able to be "in shape" for the BIG HUNT. I love his ambition, but sometimes I guess I am a little envious that he can just get up and go without the guilt that I would feel if I had such a hobby. It's good for him, he enjoys it and comes home refreshed and renewed. I would be worried about my kids the whole time, so it would not be enjoyable for me. Anyhoo, back to the hobby thing. I used to take piano lessons and I practiced every day. I was okay at it, nothing to brag about, but it was a good outlet for me. Now, I am lucky to play/practice only when required for church or something. It's interesting how things change as your priorities change.

Hunter started frist grade last week. He now goes to school all day. He loves eating lunch at school and getting FOUR recesses. But he comes home so tired and thus the emotional roller coaster begins until bed time. He's a darling boy and loves his social life, but I can tell it's going to take a while to get used to being there for the whole day.

At the bus stop.

Hopping on...he looks so little.....

Gwendalin is doing two days a week of preschool and that is heaven for me. I only have 2 kids at home on those days and it's so quiet. She loves it and it gives me a bit of a break from entertaining.


Tyler is a tank. The kid is solid. He has to be the most laid back sweet boy ever. He can entertain himself all day any day. He needs no one to hang out with - he finds Pie-ders and eats sand and laughs at the dogs. He's a doll.




Dallin is perfect. He is a spitter through and through - last night we went through 3 blankets because he had soaked them to the core with puke. He sleeps pretty good if I play my cards right and he is content almost all of the time. I love the little dude and fall in love with him more every day.

I caught him "sleep smiling"- I love it!



Other rambling thoughts...I have none...I have rambled long enough...if you are still reading: bless your soul.

13 comments:

Kellie said...

I wish my first grader got 4 recesses! We go to a new school that doesn't even have a playground and the kids only get ONE 30 min. recess after lunch. NO kidding. District policy....I so remember at least 3 recesses. What's the world coming too?! Glad not all the country has gone haywire, just the folks in TX. :-)

slades said...

love to read your thoughts, and hear about the family. you are developing new talents --love the pictures of the kids. mom

Brigg and Dianne said...

You have such a cute family Marie. I wonder what will be on my husband's headstone....an xbox controller, maybe? What will be on mine.... a rolling pin? Ha!
By the way, you were definitely something to brag about on the piano. You played better than anyone I knew. I think the only time I didn't LOVE hearing it was when I got my wisdom teeth removed and you were practicing while my meds were wearing off.

Meg said...

I know what you mean about the hobbies. I've had your same thoughts before. I love the pictures of your kids. They are all so cute. Dallin is such a beautiful baby.

The Gibbens said...

If you won't brag on yourself, we'll do it for you (Dianne started it)... you rock on the piano sister- I miss the sundays that were full of your music... great blog- good thoughts, beautiful kids... and I almost picked that background when I was changing to a "fall" theme- it seemed very camo to me...loved the pictures

The {Prince} Family said...

Your new baby is a doll! I love the pics of him "sleep smiling." That's CUTE!!!!!

Deanna said...

Marie, you are in the thick of things right now. I remember having the same exact thoughts. So I sat down and made a list of all my talents and talents I wanted to develop in the future. That is when I decided to work on one thing and take my cake decorating classes. Gracie was still a baby and it was fun. I just work on the list here and there. This time will pass and then will come a different kind of busy when they get older. You are doing great and your children are adorable. I love to read about you guys.

TammyP said...

Oh, Marie....You are preaching to the choir. I have often wondered where did 'I' go?!?! Lately it seems as if it is 'oh, company coming, let's get the house cleaned up', 'oh, the kids need sack lunch tomorrow and there is no bread, let's go to the store', 'Chris needs a shirt ironed for tomorrow'.....the list goes on and on and I realize that the me time is when I am on my computer checking out friends blogs.....HAHA!!! And as much fun as that is, There has got to be more! I'm not a scrapper, stamper, sewer......(although I have started to try out my stitching abilities.) Anyway.....You are a great mom and if that is your hobby for the next 18 years....you should know that you do it well!

BTW, I'm sorry Dallin is a spitter....Gabe was a MASSIVE spitter!!! Chris would come home from work and put on his 'Gabe holding clothes'. Because everything he spit up on he would ruin.

Okay, now I'm the rambler.... Have a great day, and an even better Hunting Season:-)!

SladeMomma said...

My thoughts: to everything there is a season. Now that my nest is empty I have hobbies a-plenty. I find myself thinking "which one shall I do now?" when I have in-between-work moments. But the needlework, the practicing, the exercising, the picture taking, etc. all stops when one of the kids call or comes to visit. The family is still No. 1, always will be I hope.

Heidelweiss said...

Very cute pics. I know what you mean about leaving the kids. It's mom guilt. I hope to get over it someday. Steve tries to send me on mini trips but my mom guilt keeps me home! It's a terrible illness!

Unknown said...

Those are great pics of your kids! Remember in London when you craved kiwi and after eating them so much you got sores in your mouth! Just a random memory...

Marie said...

Dood, I love you man!

Jake and Lynn said...

What great insight you have...there's good reason why you're my older sister, I learn a lot from you. I completely agree with Mom about having different seasons in our lives. Thanks for the insightful post.