You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Sunday, June 7, 2009

that piece of paper

so you know when you go to school because "You need to have something to fall back on?" ahhh, yes, such familiar words...I agree with those words whole heartedly...however, I think wiser words would be: "You need to have something like law, or healthcare, or a pinpointed skill to fall back on, so that regardless of the economic health you will be able to find a good job." I took the original advice in the midst of having one child and being pregnant with my second when I decided to go back to school and finish. So, I did - during the pregnancy, after she was born, and rushed to get finished before we moved to Idaho. I took 21 credits at one point so I could move when Travis moved....it sucked. But you see I got that piece of paper that says I finished college (it's hanging in my office actually) and now when looking for a job (yes I have my eyes looking) there is nothing.

I think I could likely get hired doing entry level positions, but isn't the point of the "piece of paper" to make sure you get a better paying job? So, here's my quandry - if I end up back in the work force (which I still keep my fingers crossed that I won't) there are no jobs and if I did get one it would be like $6.75 (I think that's minimum wage right now) which doesn't even cover child care costs if I had to be working....and another thing I have been doing our accounting (for our 3 companies) for the last 4 years, but I feel like I have just become a mom- I'm not downplaying what moms do...it's hard hard work, but it adds no skill to your resume when entering the job market.

So, now I have that paper, some work experience, but I feel totally un-useful....I feel like most of my brain has evaporated with each birth, I literally have no specific skill to offer any company, and I don't really feel like I have any confidence in myself as a workforce person anyway....how crappy is that? That little piece of paper is going to do me no good in the workforce today....nobody is hiring.

Just some of my recent observations.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Dood, believe me when I say that piece of paper means jack squat in these economic times. 529 people apply for 1 position so the odds are that your piece of paper is one in a million. If you are lucky enough to find a job, it will be some entry-level job where you make next to nothing. The best you can hope for is to work for a company with good benefits. Can you tell I am very bitter about this topic?

Melissa said...

okay, so here's where I have to say I am quite blessed with my job. But we struggled for quite sometime with the same issue. I knew I couldn't go to work for under $10 an hour cause it wasn't worth it. So we waited, and then came the job I have now. Free childcare and it was in the pay range I wanted. And my education did matter. I get paid more because of it. (In my case it allows me to act as director of the center if our director is gone for the day, out of town, etc.) Just keep praying and the Lord will lead you to it and at the right time. Plus totally don't down play the mom skills. You can multitask, you have conflict resolution skills. Organization skills galore. Manager skills (you run a whole household.) These are things you can put on a resume. Did you know you can even earn college credits for them! So hang in there. The right job is out there. And sorry you're having to be in the looking stage. It really is a bummer to be a working mom. But I think right now, that's what the times are. So we will all keep supporting eachother, whether we have the luxury of fulltime stay at home mom status, or the challenge of work and home. But we are moms, we are amazing, and we will get thru it all. (we may need a little valium in the mean time but hey, we can do it :)he he he.

heatherann said...

We hear ya... I don't have that little paper but it would be nice!! For some reason I'm sure! Good luck, hopefully things will turn around!