You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Does the noise in my head bother you?

For those of you who have seen ''The God's Must Be Crazy," you know that the subject of this blog is line from that movie. I figured it would be fitting seeing how I am going to post just some of the ramblings that are always going through my head- it starts to drive me nuts that it (my brain) never shuts off, and sometimes I wonder if the onlooker can tell that my mind is going a million miles an hour?

4 years ago Travis and I made a decision that we were going to move back to the Boise area and start up our own business - along with my sister and her husband (they would be business partners). Things randomly began to fall into place, though at the time I didn't realize it. Travis was laid off his job in AZ which allowed him to get a lot of the details of the move / business venture set up before we made the big move. At the time I was so upset. I was in the middle of the worse semester in history (21 credits, 2 kids, and pregnant with the third). I didn't see the blessing of the lay off....later I recognized it as the Lord's hand....Travis needed that time to get everything in order.

We came up to Boise for 1 weekend to find a place to live. That's right, we had one weekend. We found "the place" - it felt good, we liked the area, etc. etc. Everything went through, we were able to sell our home in AZ (while many others were not, the market was already crap) and purchase the one here.

We got up here and started working. Things were really good, super busy, lots of employees, good clientele etc. The Lord was blessing us.

We rolled around to the end of year 3 (of our business) and things were starting to come to a slow halt. Well, more like a screeching halt! We had done work for a few large developers (significant amounts $$$$$$$ of work) and they went under and never paid. This hurt us pretty bad...but we were able to make decisions- many just in the knick of time that we know the Lord helped us with.

Travis talked with his business partner and they decided to expand into more of the landscape, outdoor area as well as fence. So, they began looking for a machine (large air compressor) that could do sprinkler blowouts in the winter. They found one over the phone that the salesman said was available for purchase. Now, you must realize that these machines are rented out at least one year ahead of time for the guy that does sprinkler blowouts out of the back of his truck, so to find one for sale was unheard of. We went to purchase the machine and ended up talking with a different sales guy. The conversation was something like this:
Sales Guy: Why would we sell this machine when we can rent it and it has been rented/reserved for the last year?
Travis: You told us on the phone that it was available for purchase...why are you going back on your word?
Sales Guy: Well, let me see what I can do, but you'll have to come back after I make some phone calls.

Later we got a phone call from him saying that he had talked with bigger bosses than him and they decided that since we were told we could buy it that we still could and they would simply buy another one for their company to rent out.

This was the Lord's hand at work again.

Now we find ourselves one miracle after another with find in equipment that we need, resources that will benefit our company, etc....I know the Lord is watching out for us.

However - even though this is the case and I am very aware that He is very aware of us, I find myself wondering why it's not just easy? Why are things still so tight? It was come down to the fact that I must again return to the workforce until we can get everything to a point where it will sustain us on its own, and it will....but it will when the Lord is ready for it.

So, for now I put aside my little pity party, I know that other kids have survived in day care, I know that this is for my family and that there is some lesson to be learned from it. I know that it will be temporary. I know that if there were any other way Travis wouldn't even have entertained the idea - he's just that kind of sweet man. But alas, the time is now for us to be a two income household for a while, until the next miracle unfolds and I return home.

So, now my head continues to spin.....where to find a job....where to find a job?

6 comments:

Meg said...

Wow, so much is happening right now. I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Like you said, everything happens for a reason. You are such a strong person. Oh, by the way, I love The Gods Must be Crazy. Too funny!

Marie said...

You could always be a dancer...I hear they make good money

The Gibbens said...

I tried to come up with a great, funny comment- there was none to be found... so I go to my recent text messages for ideas.... hmmmm.... ;-) I love you! It will all work out- I know it will, I just don't know how or when... as soon as I do, I'll tell you! oh, so that text...

heatherann said...

You know, I hav never been able to watch that movie all the way through. Granted I think I was 9 the last time I tried... is it good?

If I could I would find you a job that you could do from home. It seems like these hard times are every where but the blessings from Heaven are still coming. Sometimes it would be nice if they were in our time not His. But I know we are all learing lessons, big and small.

Send Hunter over a few times to play. Any time you need a break i probably do to!!! And besides, we can always have some stranger stop by and scare the tar out of them!!

Melissa Bosen said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Marie. I know that you guys have made wise decisions, trying to follow promptings, so you will continue to be blessed. My greatest lesson this year is that we are allowed to suffer in our trials so that we can feel compassion for others because we KNOW what it's like. You're an example to many, many people.

Melissa Bosen said...

And good luck with the job hunt. What about data entry in real estate. Is it picking up there yet? My cousin was out of a job for over a year and then found a great job doing that. This is not for everyone, but my mom babysat for years when my Dad's business was growing. With the right family, it could be perfect. She watched babies for the most part. But we were old enough to help.