You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Thursday, March 19, 2009

Do You Believe?

So, St. Patrick's day has come and gone. Hunter was so excited because someone at school had told him that the eve of St. Patrick's the Leprechauns come and put money or gold in your shoes if you leave them outside. Travis and I talked about this and decided that the little green men would likely not come to our house because then it starts something that must be continued each year. (Call us lazy if you like, but we just didn't want to start yet another thing...).... Anyway, he left his shoes out on the eve of green day....and then the morning arrived and nothing was there. :( We had a very sad little boy on our hands.

So, St. Patrick's afternoon I got a phone call from Mrs. Petross...(Hunter's teacher). (School was still in session) She just wanted to call to give me a heads up. Here's our conversation:
Mrs. Petross: I just wanted to let you know that Hunter refused to color his Leprechaun puppet that we are making because he didn't get anything in his shoes last night and he doesn't believe in them any more.
Me: Are you serious?
Mrs. P: Yeah, he asked me if I believed and I told him I wasn't going to answer that.
Me: Well, Travis and I talked and decided we weren't going to do anything "magical" - so we just decided to dye the milk green instead.
Mrs. P: I don't blame you, but now Ean has told him that the Leprechauns come the night of St. Patrick's Day so he thinks if he puts his shoes out tonight that he'll get something.

Hunter came home less than an hour after the phone call. Opened the door and proclaimed that he had gotten the day wrong and his shoes needed to go out tonight so he could get gold. He was so excited.

So, now we are in a dilemma....the little guy wants to believe the little green man will come fill his shoes with gold....we didn't want to disappoint, so we let him set his shoes out again...and the morning of the 18th he had $1 in his shoes....he even left the Leprechaun he made a few days prior as a gift for the magical green man....

He was thrilled with his dollar....and now fully believes in the magic of St. Patrick's day again....I guess we should've believed harder that the magic would happen the first night rather than dragging it out for another night...poor kid....he now told us that we should've believed all along and we would've had better luck.
So, do you believe....? Because if you don't they won't come.

11 comments:

Heather said...

That is so cute! You going to have to continue that now?

The Oman Family said...

Wow, I have never heard of people doing things like that for St. Patrick's day. That is so cute that he just wanted to believe.

JakenDebbie said...

I say let them believe as long as they will!! :) Anna no longer believes in the Tooth Fairy, which I am very bummed about. But fortunately, that hasn't affected her belief in everything else, including Leprechauns. :)

The Gibbens said...

I'm with Heather- I've never heard of such a thing... you are a good mama and I think that is so funny that he was holding a grudge against the leprachauns and refusing to color them... he's one funny kid- a little stubborn, eh?

heatherann said...

You gotta love how those little minds work!! Once they've heard it at school, it's just the way it is. Sometimes it drives me nuts!!!!

The {Prince} Family said...

Awww... that was ADORABLE! I am glad you have in. They are only little once ya know! :)

Meg said...

Too funny! We never did anything like that for St. Patrick's, but I read Ira a book about capturing Leprechauns and if you don't blink when you look at them, they'll have to show you their gold. Ira really wanted to make a Leprechaun trap, but we convenientley "forgot" about making a one and he hasn't said anything about it so far. :)

Cyndi said...

Similar situation happened with Hayden this year. She laid a line of coins out that led to a bowl with a rainbow on it. She thought that the Leprechaun would follow the trail & then get caught in the bowl & then leave more coins for her. Mine & Josh's thoughts were right along with yours.... we just thought it was better to not get this started and so we didn't do anything. I'm so mad at myself about it too. The look on her face in the morning about broke my heart!!

Gretch said...

LOL. That is so funny, cute, and sad! So what are you going to do next year? lol

Brigg and Dianne said...

I get overwhelmed sometimes thinking about all the little 'traditions' we have and how tough it is to remember them all for each and every holiday and if we 'discontinued' one then the kids would get upset.....
Still, I'm glad you decided to keep the magic alive, you never know when he will stop believing.

Melissa Bosen said...

We don't do anything for St. Patrick's Day and the boys have never said a word. Guess I lucked out this year! But you guys are great for humoring him--sometimes the traditions WE want to keep are not the ones our KIDS want to keep. :)