You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why do you love to see my tears?

Tonight was yet another night that Travis was gone and I was putting kids in bed by myself. Now I am not upset that Travis was gone...he is working and for that I am very grateful, however, there is always a lot of drama when I am the lone parent.

Here is a little glimpse of the evening:

6:00 pm (baths have begun) - Hunter asks to play outside so I let him go for 20 minutes while I am bathing Tyler and Gwennie.

6:30 - Hunter comes in and I ask him to take a shower:
H: Mom, why do I have to shower, I hate showers?
M: You stink. Everyone who hasn't showered for 2 days starts to stink. Go get in the shower.
H: No. I'm hungry.
M: You can have a string cheese after your shower since you ate all of your dinner.
H: I will go shower after this show is over. (Wheel of Fortune)
M: Fine.

7:15 - Hunter sees that Gwendalin is getting a push up (Ice cream) and he already had his.
H: Why does Gwennie get a push up?
M: Because she hasn't had hers yet.
H: She gave Tyler a lick - that's not fair, why can't I have a lick?
G: Because you are whining.
M: Go take a shower.
H: No, there is nothing fun about this - I never get to do anything fun.
M: I know. Go shower.
H: Gwennie had two push ups.
M: No she didn't.
H: Mom I swear she did - (tears are streaming at this point)- this is not fair. I hate this.
M: Let's go turn on the shower...
H: (Screaming) I am never speaking to you again, and I won't ever help anyone with anything ever!
M: You just lost your privilage of playing on school nights - don't talk back to me.

7:25 - Hunter is in the shower for about 20 minutes (comes out rejuvinated)

7:45 - Scriptures/Prayer - Hunter wants to read, so he reads for everyone.
M: Time for Bed.
H: I want to watch Cartoons.
M: No, you copped an attitude with me and lost that privilage. Plus it's 8:00 and it's bedtime.
H: (Sits in the hall corner) I am not leaving this corner until I get to watch cartoons.
M: No, that's not an option, I told you it's time to go to bed and you lost your privilage of cartoons before bed.
H: I am not leaving. (still in the corner)
(I go over and smack his leg- he begins to wail...gets up and goes in to Dallin's room with me while I am changing the diaper.)
H: Why do you love to see me in tears....I don't understand why you love to just see my tears all the time. You don't even like me. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (all the time he's sobbing)
H: (Climbing into his bed) If there's a fire tonight I am not saving anyone - I am just going to get myself out!
M: Okay. That's fine.

Now you must realize that every night I make my kids straighten their rooms so that "if there's a fire" they can get out safely.

At this point I quit talking and tucked the other three in bed and left the room. When I cam back he said:
H: Mom, you never gave me a kiss.
I walked back in and kissed him goodnight and he said that he was sorry he lied about Gwennie getting two push ups...he just wanted to have two and was trying to get her in trouble.

This may not make sense to anyone but me, but I want to remember that even when they are little some nights were very trying....the mother's guilt once again rears its ugly head and I feel awful for being the mom that "loves to see their son's tears." I was just trying to follow through with choices and consequences.

11 comments:

heatherann said...

You are not the only one that gets that. I think it's the age. Who knows but you are not alone. Today we fought about homework. Seriously all he had to do was write 5 Q's, it took about an hour! Good luck to you.

The {Prince} Family said...

I love that post Marie. Your son sounds adorable and like my son at times! Isn't it fun? :) But I like how he reminded you that you didn't kiss him and how he told you he lied. That is exactly what my 6 year old would do too. Keep doing the great job you are doin!!!!

Marie said...

Dood, that story is priceless! I can totally see Hunter doing that too & I can totally see the guilt wheels turning in your head & you fighting an internal battle to stick to your guns & follow through. YOU DID GOOD MAN!

Daniel and Kerri said...

Wow that sounds like my family lately. You are doing a great job and following through is always the best.

Amy said...

GRRRREEEAAATTTT post!!! I love it. Not that I am happy for Hunter and his tears but it's nice to know that someone else out there is unaffected by the drama that their kids throw at them. Sometimes I feel like I should have been more sympathetic and all huggy and kissy when normally I'm like "sorry you have thrown yourself on the ground, hope nobody steps on ya." Thanks for the laugh and making me feel more normal.

slades said...

You are such a good Mother. You have to know you are a good person, because your children will try to destroy your self esteem before they leave home at 18. A good Mother has to fight her own guilt plus deal with the things the sweet children say.

Heather said...

Oh I SOO feel your pain!! My kids would do the same thing. Oh wait Cameron just did the other night!

TammyP said...

Well, I am in tears now. But this time it is from laughing so hard. We have had many nights like this. Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one!!!

Jake and Lynn said...

Man...break my heart why don't you. I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns and following through that is one thing I'm so scared of that I will make idle threats. Your son is so sweet, he fits just perfect at the top of your family.:)

Meg said...

Oh, we all have those days. You're doing a great job. Hugs!

Melissa said...

oh that sounds like our night tonight. Winslow loves to sing " the love is gone" the kids hate it if he's singing to them, but i think it's hilarious. child "why do i have to eat these stinkin peas?" Winslow " because...the love is gone" he sings it in a horrible sounding way and it has to be funny