You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Friday, February 27, 2009

Dry Cleaning my new found LOVE!

I don't think I am your typical female figure. I have heard stories of my grandmothers ironing their dish towels so that they lay better when they are put away or ironing their underwear so that they have nice creases in them when you get them out and put them on. My theory has always been to look at the tags of clothes I am purchasing and if they are going to require any kind of ironing, to put them back on the rack and just walk away. Way too much effort for me. I think that's why I have never taken a liking to sewing....it requires ironing....I can't figure out how to get the clothes or the fabric placed on the board so that it irons and makes the right creases without creasing another part of the clothes....it's way too frustrating for me. Anyway, back to the dry cleaner...

Recently my husband had to purchase a suit for work. Now he looks dang good in it, but that's beside the point. I can't wash and dry the thing in my washer and dryer, it needs dry cleaned. He has also bought a good looking pair of slacks and a few colored collared shirts - he also looks smokin hot in these. Anyway, all of these purchases required an iron - yes I do own one, but I might use it once a year at most. So the deal is, he bought these items, he must iron them and he does and he's good at it. The suit however goes to the dry cleaner. I went to pick it up after having in there and I also took one of my linen skirts that hasn't been in like a year and funny thing happened....

I fell in love with the dry cleaners!

They brought out the suit and my skirt in these nice plastic covers and they were pressed beautifully and looked to nice I wanted to frame them and hang them up. If I had the funds I would take all of Travis' shirts and all of my clothes that could stand to be ironed and would look better if I did iron them to the dry cleaners every week....they came out looking so celestial (for lack of a better word). But alas, I can't afford to dry clean everything and so I will still wear my clothes a little wrinkly and no one will likely care and Travis will still have to iron his own things and he will still look good. But once a year when I take my linen skirt in or Travis' suit I will savor the moment I get them back. What a great invention that dry cleaning!

3 comments:

The Gibbens said...

i too love how crisp and fresh things come back from the cleaners... it's a lovely (all-be-it costly) thing!

Amy said...

You are so so so so SO right about all of this. Mike's uniforms have to be perfectly starched and pressed and I BEG him to let me take them to the dry cleaners because I know I can sneak some of my stuff in with his and he'd never notice but he insists on ironing his own stuff. I highly recommend taking all your sweaters to the DC at the beginning of Fall. It makes all the dif in loving the sweaters you already have and not having to buy new ones. They de-fuzz-ball the heck out of them.

Finally, I have two words for you. ROWENTA STEAMER (the professional model) You can get it for less than $100 bucks at Bed Bath and Beyond with their standard 20% off coupon they always send out. You take your shirt or pants out of the closet, turn on the steamer and in like a minute, you can steam all the wrinkles away. It maybe makes the clothes look telestial rather than celestial but it's better than balled up and wrinkly by a long shot.

Heidelweiss said...

It is pretty dang fab, isn't it? I hardly ever take anything to the dry cleaners but when I do, BOY am I excited to get it back. No more spots, wrinkles, nothin'! Too bad it's so spensy ;).