You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fears

Hello, my name is Marie and I am a mother.

Every mother has fears, they usually consist of things like I hope nothing happens to my kids while they are gone to school or outside playing, I hope my kids are still breathing through the night, I hope my kids turn out to be productive good citizens of the society they belong to, and if any of things don't go right it has been my observation that the mother usually blames herself.

The mother's guilt is horrible. I don't know how to avoid or get rid of it, but I have come to grips with it for the most part- I realize it will just always be there. I am trying on a daily basis to teach my kids good things and ensure that they know they are safe and loved at home.

A few of my biggest fears as a mother are listed below : (there are more always, but these are on my mind at the moment).

1. What if one of my kids gets diagnosed with some kind of terminal illness?

2. What happens if I forget to check them one night before bed and they got too cold in the night because I didn't cover them up?

3. What if my kids hit Junior High or High School and their skin becomes like mine was?

4. What if there are other kids that are mean to mine and I can't go and just beat them up?

5. What if my kids struggle in school and I can't just help them fix it overnight?

6. What if my boys grow up and marry someone who doesn't want to hang around me for
whatever reason?( I know this won't happen with Gwendalin - daughters are always close
and want to hang out with their parents....it's different for boys, and who they marry
affects this substantially.)

7. What if one of my children makes a very sad decision and I have to watch them go through the pain of making it right?

8. What if I do something to embarrass them in front of one of their friends? I would feel terrible!

9. What if the boy/girl that they like breaks their heart? How do I help them pick up the pieces?

10. What if I didn't read to them enough or make sure they were musically inclined, or had good taste in art and theater?

Now I realize that most of these things will likely happen. It's just hard to prep myself for the future and allow the course to run and just go with the plan. But, alas I will and I will just take each challenge as it comes....with Heavenly Father's help I'm sure somehow the guilt I will have over each circumstance will be bearable.

6 comments:

The Gibbens said...

I'm glad that you ended that post with, "I know most of these things will happen..." because, they just will- and your sisters and parents will be there to help you through them just like you'll be there for us when we go through it with our kids. Oh, wouldn't it be nice if we could just "rig" their lives to turn out the way we'd like?

Marie said...

Dood, I think the fear of the unknown is always terrifying especially when it involves the ones you love.
You are an awesome mom & your kids will grow up to be positively contributing citizens...I KNOW IT

heatherann said...

I loved all your posts but this one is my fave. I have all these fears. It must come with the job. Mom=worry. I don't know how our moms ever made it.

Amy said...

It's like you are inside my head and heart today. I have been feeling this so much lately. I just want them to be happy you know? I want them to have the joy they have right now always. I totally get it. My friend told me that because I am worried about these things means I'm on the right track. It's the clueless moms who really screw it up I think. But then again, even the good ones screw it up too. I vote let's just try and save money for their therapy.

Heidelweiss said...

I have those exact same fears. Right down to the not covering them up before I go to bed. Must be universal mom fears. It makes me feel good to know that I'm not crazy ;).

Jake and Lynn said...

Why do we have these fears when most of them are out of our control? Atleast you know you're not alone in the worry business. There's a load of mom's out there, myself included, who are worry too:) Love you...