You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Thursday, September 16, 2010

A New Stage -

I never really appreciated all that my parents did for me while I grew up. My leaders too for that matter. As most kids, I was the same, I figured the world revolved around me. My parents loved taking my to a million things (piano, school events, etc.) and my leaders had no life except that of being my leader. I am not upset that I look back and think that- however I do wish that I was a little more appreciative and vocal to those who considerably influenced my life.

I am now the mother of 4. Oldest is 8. And we are entering a new chaotic part of life. Homework is no longer "write your name" - it's big projects with salt dough and paint and looking up parts of speech in the dictionary. We still have the "write you name" and "letters" homework too...which makes it all even more fun! But you add the extraciriculars to that and bam! life is crazy all of the sudden. It's driving to scouts, driving to piano lessons, driving to soccer practice, driving to soccer games, trying to find time to read with the kids, clean my house, work out, chill with my husband, garden, etc. But alas, I feel as though I have entered the "live in your car" stage. I don't mind because my parents did it for me and I know that what I have my kids involved in is important and worth the toll it is on me so that they become good productive people.

Hunter hates the piano, but I have made my mind up that my kids will all play. They don't have to take lessons forever but they do have to be able to play any hymn in the hymnbook at any given time and then I will tell them it's their choice. This battle is taxing - but one that I will not budge on. It will pay off eventually and he will be glad that I fought this fight.

He also playes soccer which requries two weekdays for 1 1/2 hour practices and Saturdays full of games and prep etc.

Gwennie is in Kindergarten and loves it, but with Kindergarten comes homework (simple as it is) that adds to the after school chaos. I love doing homework with my kids, it's fun, looking up words practicing their names, etc. But it is late when they get home (4:00) and then we have dinner at 5:00 - throw in a practice here and there and then the night is here and the day begins all over again.

So, the point of this post is really just to make sure that my leaders and parents know how grateful I am to have had them be willing to help me become a good person, productive and well rounded in the ways that they could. I am hoping my dilligence in leading a crazy "taxi driving" life will help my kids turn out ok too.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Hey, I am in the "live in your car" stage too, but only because I can't afford my house anymore :)

The Gibbens said...

You're welcome.... I know I was your leader... 5 years is quite a gap... I'm sure i was also your driver... and i know I set a shining example as your sister... so your welcome ;-) I'm kidding of course, kids/adolescents sure do think that the world revolves around them... I know i did too... we had great leaders- I still have great leaders that I hold as examples and appreciate all the work on my behalf... YOU are a leader, you are wonderful.

Melissa Bosen said...

Ah...amen to all of that. I have 2 in soccer, 2 in piano and 1 in scouts. I feel bad for not letting Aiden do any activities yet (he'll be 5 in Feb), but I just can't stomach it right now. Hopefully next year I have more energy. That's how it works right? We get more energy as we age??? :)
I'm trying to enjoy every minute of it because I know it gets busier and the time will come that I can't be so involved because there is only ONE of me. :) I'll be so sad when that day comes.