You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Names...

I thought when parents named their children that's what they would be called, nicknames make come but it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Well, I named my Gwennie - Gwendalin becuase I thought it was so very princessy and I thought she was beautiful and loved the name. As she has grown more and more people are calling her GWEN! I HATE THIS! I am ok with Gwendalin or Gwennie but do not at all like Gwen. It doesn't phase her and that's what matters, but I thought my vote counted....I am learning to just deal. It's not a battle I am willing to fight over and over. OH well....she's Gwendalin and Gwennie to me.

5 comments:

Brigg and Dianne said...

I'm with you on that one. I named my son Will, but if anyone ever tries to call him Billy or Bill, I am ready to jump down their throat. Luckily, he doesn't like those names either, and he'll say so: "My name is WILL!".

The Oman Family said...

I do the same thing. I don't like it if people call Melissa 'Missy.' I can't stand that name. I agree, the Mom has a big say- you should call the child by what the parents do.

Marie said...

Dood...I hate Gwen too! She's Gwennie!

The Gibbens said...

She is Gwennie, forever and always. I sat next to a sister the other Sunday (when mom was here)... the lady was elderly and i'd not yet met her, so I said, "Hi" and "I'm new...etc" and she said, "I'm Gwen" and I said, "OH! I'll remember that, I have a niece named Gwendalin!" and she said, "Really? You don't hear that often, that's my name, Gwendalin." I said, "Well, we call my niece 'Gwennie.'" and she said, "Oh, my aunts use to call me 'Gwennie.'" ... that's a conversation your Gwennie will have in 60 years!!!

Melissa Bosen said...

I think Gwen is an adorable name too.
But I understand because I had a few nicknames over the years. The only one my mother hated and cringed if someone called me that was Missy.