You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Confessions of a Neroutic Mind.

Hello, my name is Marie and I have a cleaning problem.

The other night Travis was out at a meeting and it was just me to my thoughts after the kids went to bed. This is a regular occurrence since his job calls for him to be gone many evenings. My routine usually consists of cleaning up from the day - scrubbing the floor, laundry, dishes, counters, etc. Well, it hit me the other night as I was vacuuming up spilled mustard seed (yes an entire bottle - from the dallie man) that I am a freak. I started vacuuming and hearing the sounds of the seeds enter the vacuum made me feel like my carpet was getting super clean...plus I was moving the vacuum super slow as to get every last seed. Anyway, I started looking at the vacuum lines....I love vacuum lines. So- I continued to vacuum (my family room only) for another 20 minutes - literally. Anyone who has seen my family room knows it is not big you could spit from one side to the other. But the lines called me to them. I had the most beautiful vacuum lines you've ever seen, very methodical each in a row with distinct patterns of where I had stopped the unit each time. As I pondered why I did this I realized that I am a freak through and through. Who continues vacuuming just to get the perfect vacuum lines? uh....

Then I recalled that I not only do that, but if there is a scrap of sticky on any part of the wood floor in my house I pull out the mop and the entire thing gets done - sticky spots and more. What has happened to me?

I have thought about this often - how cleaning really rules my life. I don't want it to take over so I have made a conscious effort not to be crazy about it when my kids are awake. I sit with them and read books or watch a cartoon even if there's toys every where and dishes in the sink. For me this is an almost impossible task. I think of what needs to be done while I am spending time with them...BUT...I will give myself credit - cleaning is an outlet for me. I can't enjoy a bath or watch a TV show with husband Travis unless my house is clean, dishes, floors, etc. At least it's a good outlet - I mean it could be that my stress reliever is wasting time on the Internet (which I do that too), or vegging constantly. It makes me feel better to clean.

Now my mom would say that I inherited this neuroses from her. I will tell you that I did not. My mom kept a clean house and we all knew we needed to keep it clean to ensure her good mood - but she didn't constantly mull over it. At least I don't remember that she did...

After this past year: we have been beaten up pretty good (which I don't mind, we've grown from it), we had the Dallie doodle, and I feel like I have lost complete control over my life. I think that's part of the reason I love to clean - I CAN'T stand any mess, I don't go to bed with any mess. My sheets are all changed once a week- laundry is always folded hot so it won't wrinkle and then put away so it's not on my laundry room counter. Anyway, back to my point, cleaning makes me feel like I can accomplish something good, when I can't control any of the other happenings that occur in my life.

So, yes, I should join a group, but I won't. I'll just leave it on the blog for whoever to read. Judge if you will, mock if you will (my husband does- he thinks I clean the floors way too often). ;)
I will give my husband some credit though, after the vacuuming incident when he came in he admired the lines with me and then pointed them out to Hunter in the morning before school. I believe his exact words were "Look at those lines dude, they make a perfect grid, not even I am that talented." Hunter just stood there perplexed.

11 comments:

Heidelweiss said...

After reading this and your last few posts, I believe we are, in fact, the same person. Holy cow girl. I cannot relax while my house is a mess. Steve does not understand it. Also, I think about my weight constantly, my back aches constantly, I want to be a better gardener, and I want to go to London (all the time). I'm so glad we know each other :).

The Gibbens said...

you rock... and we're a little related!

slades said...

I did mull it over --remind me some time and I will tell you how overboard I really am(was) now I am just always behind.

Marie said...

Dood, there is nothing wrong with you cleaning. Its a stress reliever for you and you should get to do it! You're not a freak, you're perfectly normal. I completely agree with you too, I LOVE to hear the vacuum suck up stuff, if makes me feel like things are so much cleaner.

TammyP said...

Marie, I don't think your neurotic or crazy or anything like that!!! I'm in awe. I wish I was a little more like you!! In fact, I think a bigger wish of mine is that I would like to HIRE YOU!!!

Mary said...

this is so funny! i think every mom relates in some way (:
it sounds to me like you have it down! i'm just so done by the pm that cleaning is on the bottom of the list.

loved your christmas card post too. happy 2010!

Brigg and Dianne said...

It's fine if you like to clean. It's fine if it makes you weird. I love you anyway.

Meg said...

Aw, yes, Marie, as you say, at least it's a good outlet. :) My outlet is escaping into a book, then my house gets crazy messy and I go buggy because I don't like a messy house either. I think you're doing it all right! Miss you!

Amy said...

Can you please come live with us. I would take the extra crowd, noise and traffic just for the cleaning. I never feel like I get it completely done.

heatherann said...

I think that we could be sisters. We're the same and we have the same mom, crazy. The worst thing about my carpet, it is to cheap to make the lines. I try and try and TRY but no lines. It drives me nuts. I have those same crazy notions but as of late have not been up to the cleaning. So behind in everything I can't even start to clean.... Ahhh the smell of clean!! Someday I'll start again! Until then, enjoy it some for me too!

JakenDebbie said...

I love good vacuum lines as well...I think my carpet isn't good enough to make the lines I would like. I wish you would have taken a picture - I'm sure it was some good work. :)

My dad was the same about mowing the lawn, with lines and what not. I have yet to see anyone mow a lawn as amazingly as my dad.

And hey, if you have to be neurotic about something, cleaning is about as good as they come. :) I wish I was a little more neurotic about it...sometimes I worry that I have gotten too good at letting things go.

I miss you, Marie!!!