You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Sunday, March 2, 2008

The relaxing plan....and events of the week.

Not much to report on this week...not even a lot of pictures. Just slow recovery (yes still) from the lingering cough, runny nose that has fallen upon us.

I did get the chance to go to Hunter's classroom on Wednesday. I rather enjoy that and I think he looks forward to it as well. There's something special about "your mom" being the one that comes to help. I remember having the same feeling.

We roasted marshmallows at grandpa and grandma's house this week. That was a nice thing to do, as the weather is not really warm, but warmer and very nice to be outside again. The fresh air does us good. Plus, my mom and dad's porch is just very inviting. It's peaceful to sit back there and listen to the little ditch behind their house.

Travis had to go to Portland for a few days. It's always challenging when he is away, but duty calls and we survive each time.

I have found myself wondering a lot this week just about things that never seem to go away:
  • laundry - no matter how caught up you think you are, the clothes you have on will need washed as soon as you take them off
  • dishes - there are always clean dishes to be put away and dirty ones that need cleaned.
  • cleaning in general- i love a clean house I would say I love one certain thing in particular, but I love everything clean: bathrooms, floors, kitchen, dusting. It all drives me nuts and it is never caught up all at one time....and it tends to be that the day you feel really great about what you did get done, no one comes to visit or drop in...but on the days you feel it's at its worst, everyone has to stop by.
Now, I don't feel like I am a negative person - I am pretty optimistic, but the last few posts being sick and even venting the afore mentioned you may feel that I do focus on the negative. I have come to the conclusion though that it's a learning process, all of it. I have been trying to not be so tense about things that are so materialistic. I can't let go completely or you'll find me in a looney bin because I could write my name in the dust on my bookcase, however, I have decided that I need to prioritize better- do little things each day and teach my kids to help. I know preachy you think, but I am trying to be more fun around my little ones and less uptight about getting the toys out to play and causing a mess. I don't want them to remember me as always cleaning, but rather playing with them and having fun. We'll see how well I adapt to my new way of thinking. I may be getting up super early so I can clean before we play! It's worth a try right.

I didn't take a lot of pictures this week, but here are a few: He's been so tired all week...if I had a picture of me, it would look much much similar to his. :)

11 comments:

Brigg and Dianne said...

Those are cute pictures, Marie. I feel the same way about cleaning. Even when you think you've caught up on everything, the rags you've used to wipe windows with, dust with, scrub with, etc. all have to be washed. We will never be caught up on laundry unless we walk around without clothes on (and then we would have to worry about cleaning other things).

Lindsey said...

My sister Camie and I have this conversation at least once a week about how laundry and dishes are never caught up, and how can we have a perfect house without neglecting our children!!! We are both overly obsessive compulsive about our homes!!! But most days my kids win out, so I do get up early or stay up late after they go to be to make sure it is all done....

SladeMomma said...

The house will always be there while the kids will be leaving. Can you imagine one of them looking back and saying with sincerity: "Thanks, Mom, for always mopping the floors." Probably not. But they may thank you for reading to them or playing dressup or baking cookies...

jolleyzoo said...

So glad to see apost again. Sorry you all have been sick, it's never fun. I think every mother had a hang up about getting "everything" done, but I know it's possible cause my mom did it. Our house was always clean and it grosses me out that I can not figure out how she had so many kids and got so much done. The older my kids get though, the easier things are becoming. I think it should be a givin' that where a toddler lives so does clutter. Your doing fine and your a great mommy.

Kari said...

Oh my goodness Marie. You guys have been through it and back again! I'm so sorry. I loved your previous post about single vs. mom sick. I whole-heartedly agree! It stinks being sick when you are the Mom!Hope you all get better and that you stay healthy!

The Gibbens said...

Truer words were never spoken... I swear to each of you who have seen my house in disarray, it was clean when you werent' looking... Love the pictures- funny, sweet, tired boy...

slades said...

I have often wondered where the laundry rabbit lives in my house--because she can reproduce faster than I can take care of the over production of laundry. not to consider the ever ending need to eat. I tried to not cook but there was open rebellion -so rather than face the mob I had to cook. I will admit that I learned to clean less (going from everyday to 2 x 's a week)

Marie said...

Dood, your kids will remember you being the coolest mom EVER! Nothing wrong with being clean and cool :)

The Gibbens said...

Hey "kettle"- um, you're better now... you can post more often... I'm waiting... sincerely, "pot"

The Gibbens said...

Hey "kettle"- um, you're better now... you can post more often... I'm waiting... sincerely, "pot"

Rich Angie said...

Hey Marie, how goes it?! You poor kids, being sick is the worst! Love your blog layout...and your kids are super cute!