You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Sunday, March 16, 2008

If ye are prepared...?

I have had the persisting thoughts all week on food storage and overall preparedness. This all triggered by an article my dad gave me last week to read...I can't get it out of my head and I am trying to take it in stride along with everything else that comes at us on a daily basis. It has, however, made me focus on what I can continue to do to be prepared for hard times along with what we have already done.

My in-laws were kind enough to provide us with quite a bit of food storage that we keep in the shed...now on my mind is, do we have enough, could we survive on it ( I am clueless on how to use any of it...wheat? without a bread machine....) So, we have a good starting point. My mom and dad helped us out with a start on our 72 hour kits...but we still need some more to complete them.

In reading on the provident living site by the church, the big push right now is to have a solid 3 month food supply on hand of the every day food items you consume. So, rather than fret over the huge picture, I am going to start here. Sounds easy enough, but it means rearranging my cupboards to fit 3 months worth of food and slowly adding extra groceries to my cart each time I go shopping to meet my goal without breaking the bank.

I hope this doesn't consume my life...I don't take bad news well, it consumes me and I am just hoping that if I am in the process of doing what I should be, all will be okay....



6 comments:

Marie said...

I know what you're feeling. I just hope there's a way I can get to my parent's house in case of emergency :)

SladeMomma said...

Thanks for sharing that article that your dad shared with you. It is well-written and sobering.

jolleyzoo said...

Well if crisis moved in today, I know where I would be going, striaght to your house. Weare so bad at food storage, even knowing how important it is. My paretns were very good at it though, just ask Travis. They use to keep our food storage under our beds, it was kinda tacky, but now that I look back it was a good cause. Although I wonder if any of it is still good. You are a great mom, Marie.
By the way we ahve a new blog.
www.thejolleyzoo.blogspot.com

Brigg and Dianne said...

How funny that you would post about this. Just this past week I have been assessing what we have and what we don't in food storage and survival gear. I wonder about grinding wheat if there were no electricity, so I've thought about getting a manual wheat grinder. It all does seem overwhelming, so I just add one extra item to the cart every time I visit Costco.

Gretch said...

I'm totally with you, I have also had food storage on my mind. I started spending $20 a pay check on food storage. We have a 72 hour kit for all of us and now I'm working on the 3 month storage. It is over whelming but I've been happy with how much we have gotten with the $20.

I got this idea from a friend, every General Conference they pull out their 72 hour kit and eat it the whole weekend then of course they replace it that same weekend. I thought it was a good idea to make sure the kits are fresh and up to date. It is also a good gage to see what your kids actually eat.

Melissa Bosen said...

We've been feeling the tremendous need to be prepared too--especially the past few months. We do good on food storage, 72-hr. kits, 3-mo supply and appliances we can use to cook it all. But what we've been working on lately is WATER. It would be devastating if something happened to the water supply. We have 4 of the big 50 gallon water drums filled in our backyard and water jugs and bottles inside, but it still doesn't seem like enough! Don't forget the water!!