You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Sunday, January 15, 2012

Somehow...

Every once in a while it really hits me that I am considered a competent adult capable of doing adult things: raising kids, having food storage, driving kids to and from activities, planning family vacations, talking to insurance companies, etc.

Today I was making cookies. Travis was upstiars laying down - I had just been laying down but couldn't sleep anymore- so I came down and made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Travis came down just as the first batch came out of the oven and rounded the corner started to say to me "Where are some cooki....." when he realized I had already made some. It was then and while I was baking that I realized somehow I have become this adult person that knows what he likes (sometimes before he tells me) and I do grown up things. I was out of flour and sugar inside - so off to the garage I went to get the buckets from the garage to refill my inside supply....that's something my mom and dad had at their house when I grew up - buckets of storage food to replenish when we ran out.

I lead the music in primary....my mom was in primary - I can remember vividly the day she got released and she bore her testimony that she would miss us (she was the primary president) . Although I am not the primary president, I would miss my association with those sweet kids every week. I have so much fun in there...and I feel like it wasn't long ago that I was in primary and now they have deemed me an appropriate "adult" figure to be a teacher for them.

It's so crazy , that somehow through this circle of life it will inevitably be "my turn" to be in positions that I watched my parents be in. i.e. going to have "chats" with neighbors about thier kids, having to teach my kids the same life lessons that my parents taught me, establishing and enforcing rules in our house to hopefully prepare my kids for the world (big one right now - NO SLEEPOVERS) .... It's a bit overwhelming to think the Lord trusts me enough to make these decisions and deal with life events that will and do affect my life and the lives of my/His children.

Travis was asked to be a "guest speaker" at our ward's ym/yw this week. The task was to tell 3 stories - 2 true stories and 1 false. He worked on this from Sunday until Wednesday ....thinking up the best stories...the kids were enthralled with his stories to say the least and some of them made the comment "how come you're telling stories about things we shouldn't do..." He made sure to preface his commments with the comment that some of the things he was sharing (egging homes, having his sister pretend to be his mom, etc.) was not permission for these youth to do those things....BUT isn't it crazy that no matter how our parents prepare us for the world, somehow we have to figure it out on our own using the knowledge they have armed us with.....my point is, Travis was now the "adult figure" telling these youth the colorful stories of his past.....

Somehow the Lord is ok with us learning by trial and error as we trudge through life. What a colorful experience it is to reflect on how somehow I have become the adult that I thought only the "adults" in my life would ever be. How thankful I am for the learning experience it is.

3 comments:

Gibbens said...

great post! You're more grown than me! I'm glad that you are feeling good about where you are, the things you are doing, teaching, etc... i wish we'd never said yes to a sleepover... i don't know how to undo that... stick to it- you're so much further ahead than i am! Good for you!

slades said...

I remember thinking that any one that was 30 ;must know everything and I would be wise when I got there. Then I learned that you never actually reach the end . You are Always learning and learning that you know very little. I guess one never arrives .

Brigg and Dianne said...

I have had a few moments like that. Actually, the moment the nurse handed me Haley for the first time right after she was born, I thought, "I guess they are letting just anybody be a mom these days." I thought about how unqualified I was. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!