You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You know you've ruined your children when...

We all know that recovering from a financial loss is hard. We try not to let it affect our children. We try to be subtle. We try to still teach values and restraints when it comes to spending money. Well, we were hit hard (as I've mentioned before) and have obviously not done a very good job of being subtle about it. Gwendalin has become very concerned about our financial wellness. Here are the two scenarios I am referring to. Scenario #1: I got a babysitter to go out with Travis for my birthday last weekend. As I took her home I got this story.
Gwennie asked the babysitters "are you going to take money from my mom when she gets home?" and then before there was an answer - she continued "because it would be really nice if you didn't take her money because she doesn't have a lot."

I was mortified when she told me this on the drive home. Luckily I love this girl and she and I have a pretty candid relationship. So- it blew over pretty easily.

Scenario#2: My kids stepped on some landscape curbing next door to our house while it was still wet. It caved in a bit. After some lecturing and consequences, we told them that they were going to have to pay the neighbors back to fix it out of our "vacation jar." Hunter was great with that..."OK, let's go give them some money..." Gwendalin fired right back at him "NO!, we can't! I have looked in mom's wallet and there are no dollars!"

Poor little thing...she is so concerned for us. We have tried to keep it down low - but apparently we have sucked at it. Oh well....good thing kids are resilient!

5 comments:

katie said...

Totally cracks me up!!! That little Gwennie. CS totally loves your kiddos and would babysit for FREE anytime!!!

Love ya,
Katie

P.S. you are doing a fantastic job

The Gibbens said...

She really is so cute, sweet, and concerned- what a little mama in the making she is! I love that girl!

The Gibbens said...

She really is so cute, sweet, and concerned- what a little mama in the making she is! I love that girl!

JakenDebbie said...

I think it's a girl thing. My oldest is totally aware of that kind of thing and I don't feel like we talk about it all that much...but I do think it's good for them to be aware of that kind of thing. It's all good. :)

Jake and Lynn said...

What a sweet little girl. I can hear her saying "...no dollars..." I love your kids.