You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Monday, February 22, 2010

What am I not learning?

So, the last 18 months or so have been really rough. I think I may have mentioned that. We keep thinking that the end is near (end of the hardship), and just when we think there's a "glimmer" of change, something happens and we find ourselves in the same place. I am not complaining really, it's been a while since I've had a good cry so it's all good. Sometimes just ramble writing helps clear my mind. It would seem like if you have spent 5 years building a relationship with another business that they would really consider you for more work...but that has not been the case and now we are back at square one. We thought it was in the bag...we thought it might be a way to be able to just pay our day to day bills - but they decided to go with someone else. It's not our fault that we got the shaft when the economy tanked...we paid our bills, but it's the hundreds of thousands of dollars (literally) that other people owed us that they didn't pay that put us here - small businesses like ours can't recover from something like that, so we did our best with what we had. We paid our bills and took a very personal hit in doing so in order to save the business to keep us with some kind of income. We have listened so closely through this whole process -we feel like we've done everything we should've done. I am fine going through hard times and I know there is something to be learned. I don't understand what I haven't learned yet that I still must need to learn so that it can be over. I'm trying. I can't complain or lose it around my kids or Travis. It's not fair to any of them. Travis is trying so hard to do whatever he can - but in case you haven't heard finding a good job is near impossible - minimum wage employment - there are some, but not to support a family. And my kids just get really concerned if I walk around in a stupor, so that's not an option either. I just wish I could see the outcome - somehow I know it will work out, I know that there's a plan, if I'm just patient. But for now, I will continue to have a constant headache, a mind that never rests, tears that fall after the lights are out and the house is quiet, very personal blog posts that I'm sure one day I will look back on and be glad to see I had emotions during this time, I will continue to remind myself that I have 4 beautiful happy HEALTHY kids that I adore, and a husband who adores me and tries so hard every day - because I am blessed and I know that...but it's really hard sometimes to remember that when there's adversity staring you in the face day after day. In spite of it all, as long as I try to keep the faith and perspective, life is great! ( I mean that with all sincerity.) We are so richly blessed, maybe not financially at the moment, but in every other way.

5 comments:

Jake and Lynn said...

Your strength and outlook never ceases to amaze me sister. I wish there was some magic button that I could find, or some solution that we could come up with, to fix everything, because watching your family endure this is heartbreaking and baffling, you guys are wonderful good people...the last people that should ever have to go through this. Thank you for your very real words and for teaching me so much. I love you guys...

Kristin said...

These refining fires that we have the opportunity to experience can be brutal! I understand the despair that you feel...when I was at my lowest point in my life a few years ago, the Spirit whispered to me..."Be still and know that I am God". You are learning what you need to learn. The Lord loves you so much and wants you back with Him that He is polishing off all the rough edges...as He does with all of us. You are stronger than you realize. Always know that you are never alone...you have friends and family that love you...but more importantly, you have your Father and His Son who will walk with you, talk with you, and be your partner on this sometimes very difficult journey we call life. You are an amazing woman, Marie!!

katie said...

Oh, sweet Marie!!! I always learn so much from you and your wonderful attitude. I know how you feel...believe me! I don't always have the same great view as you. You are so special to me. Please, please, know that I am always here for you!!!

Love ya,
Katie

Marie said...

You really are amazing and I you really do have a great attitude about it. I know how hard it has been for me to be going through this economic crap and its just me. I don't have a family to worry about. Your faith and strength give me strength. You are my hero - and I'm not kidding. Your kids are so lucky to have a mother like you!

The Gibbens said...

You are so brave. Thank heavens you have such a testimony, withouth that, this time would seem bleak and dark and very hopeless. Although I know you are feeling some of that, it is better with the light of the gospel- There really is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's NOT a train... it just is a longer tunnel than we thought, the light might be just around the bend... either way- I love you.