You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Monday, August 3, 2009

Good Parents

It doesn’t matter what you have to go through in life, somehow there is always an end. (This is all related to adversity). I have been thinking a lot lately, well no more than I usually do, but I have reflected on how my parents survived some of the things that came their way while we were growing up. I am in awe and how much they leaned on each other and how well they came through it all. My dad lost his job and was unemployed for a time. (I don’t know the details very well.) But I remember him taking whatever job he could to be able to support us in whatever way he could. I appreciate him for that. My mom found herself back in the workforce shortly after that happened as well. It was a hard time for both of them. I am sure looking back they might wonder how they survived it as well: good job, good benefits, no financial worries, etc and all the sudden GONE! How terribly frightening that must have been for them. I gain strength from them though – the still lived like they were supposed to, we still learned and felt loved, we all came through it ok.

Now I find myself in my own set of circumstances, not quite the same, but I am grateful for their example of strength for me to reflect on. Yes, I am back in the workforce, yes it’s hard – really hard, but like everything else that has brought us to this point I can truly say that I know the Lord’s hand is in our lives and has been every step of the way. I can see it – not literally but almost. It’s that clear to me that there is a plan and he’s in control. Even though I may not know what it is, or how long it will last…He does and I trust Him.

So, for now regardless of the lengthiness of what’s happening right now for us – I am in it for the long haul. I love my parents for their support. I love Travis’ parents for their support. I am so glad there are people who have gone before me and survived their adversities and come out on top….we are survivors!

1 comment:

The Gibbens said...

Our parents amaze the heck out of me! It is crazy to look back at the things they went through- and so much we had no idea (probably still don't) You are doing a great job in your situation. I admire your strength and courage- you are a tenacious (sp?) girl and you will succeed. There is a song on the CD that I'm currently into, and it says something like, "Keep the faith, He knows what we don't and He sees the changes that tomorrow brings... keep the faith...." very loosely quoted- but you are doing that! I know He is by your side in all of this- I love you sister.