You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Tuesday, January 27, 2009

DANGER! Use Caution when...

PLAYING DOMINOS?
Yes, you read correctly. There should be a warning on all domino games...USE CAUTION - MAY CAUSE HARM...etc. etc.

Yesterday I got a phone call shortly after lunch from the school nurse. "Mrs. Chesley, I have Hunter here and he hit his head on a desk. I have the cut all cleaned up but I think you may want to have it checked out."

So, off I went to get Hunter and venture to the Urgent Care. When I picked him up the nurse "un bandaided" the cut but she had 2 stery (sp?) strips over the cut so I couldn't tell how much it was gaping open. So we went to the Urgent Care.

They were super fast about getting us in. We got to the back and the medical tech met us first...Here's how that went:

Hunter: What are you doing?
Tech: We are going to check your pulse and take your temperature. What happened to your head?
Hunter: I was playing dominoes at inside recess and went to grab one before it fell to the floor and hit the table.
Tech: Wow! You must be a fierce domino player. :)
Hunter: I don't want stitches.
Tech: Well, they have this cool glue stuff that might work for your cut...but we'll have to see what the doctor says.

By then the glue was in Hunter's head...he could use glue rather than get stitches? This was a no brainer...So the doctor comes in.

Hunter: I don't want stitches, I'll have the glue.
Doctor: Well, let's look at it first.
Hunter: I don't want stitches.
Doctor: It looks like the glue will do fine for this cut.

You should've seen the relief on the kid's face. So, they laid him back and he was told it wouldn't burn. HA! He began to apply the dermabond and Hunter immediately teared up and began to cry. (He hadn't cried at all up to this point). So, we started to talk to him about his dogs at home, their names, behaviors, etc. to try to distract him. He just cried. I gave him my hand to squeeze but he said he didn't want to hurt me so he just squeezed his own leg. What a sweet kid.

Anyway, now we have a kid that can say he's had his head glued together. Who would have thought that this kid (see pics) could get hurt playing dominoes? Only Hunter.


These pictures are all courtesy of Hunter trying to get his own self portraits in the past few days...It's his new hobby. - - except for the last 2 - I did take those.






9 comments:

Unknown said...

What a trooper (both mom and Hunter!) - doesn't sound fun!

Kellie said...

oh Just another day in the life of a mother of boys! :-)

heatherann said...

Seriously these boys, they just make you laugh! Max had already had stitches twice by the time he was 2 but NEVER from dominoes! What a kid!

Brigg and Dianne said...

What a character! I love all your stories about your kids. Kids are better entertainment than anything else. I hope he heals up soon!

JakenDebbie said...

Ouch ouch ouch! Just looking at that makes my eyes water! He was tough about it though. Anna can't even handle hearing the word, "Doctor" or anything even slightly related to it. School sure can be rough! :)

Amy said...

This was hilarious. "I'll take the glue". I love kids in emergency situations. I have only had one ER experience and it was one too many. I got more nervous than they did. Glad he's okay and tell him if he thinks dominoes are dangerous, don't ever let him play scrabble. That one can be a bone cruncher.

The Gibbens said...

What a great scar he'll have... I 'm sure the story will involve ninjas though as he tells it when he's older... dominos won't be the danger in his story! He's so sweet- I'm glad he didn't hurt you by squeezing too hard- very thoughtful boy you have.

Jake and Lynn said...

I love that he squeezed (squoze?) his own leg because he didn't want to hurt you! I love that kid!

Heidelweiss said...

Poor little man! That kid's got moxy! He squeezed his own leg so he wouldn't hurt his mom. Little angel.