You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Insomnia

Not being able to sleep has never been a problem for me....yes, there is the occasional night when I lay awake for a while trying to calm my mind, but eventually sleep takes over and I drift away into dreamland (until a child wakes up). Anyway, since stress levels are a bit on the high side at our house, it has become a challenge to make sleep happen, especially for Travis. Now he has always had issue with this, but with stress it gets worse. He has had to have perscription help to sleep for years- now you might say, huh? Sleep is so nice it's so lovely, who can't sleep....? Yes, well, that used to be what I thought until I married a non-sleeper. He's exhausted when night comes to the point of nausea sometimes, but he just can't go to sleep. I think it's genetic for him actually simply because there are others in his family who struggle with the same thing. Anyway, the point of this post is that I have no problems sleeping and neither do my kids...below are a few pictures of the youngest two this week. In the meantime, keep praying that Travis can get caught up on some much needed sleep. :) Here's to you and all your peaceful dreams!


I love these boys...they are so sweet! Notice Tyler's car (2 actually) he is always sleeping with something. :)

11 comments:

Jake and Lynn said...

I'm with you, I don't usually have a problem sleeping and when I do it is the absolute worst because all I want to do is sleep but it won't come. I do not envy Travis at all, we'll be crossing our fingers, saying our prayers, wishing, hoping, and doing whatever else we can and maybe it will help him get his much needed rest. Love you guys!

Brigg and Dianne said...

That is awful! How frustrating! I hope things turn around soon and he can get some much needed rest.

Heather said...

I hope that he can get some sleep soon. I don't have a problem with it either.

Heidelweiss said...

I'm so sorry for Travis. I can't imagine. Such cute pics. My kids are excellent sleepers too. Yesss!

Gretch said...

I'm SO sorry Travis! That really does stink! Hopefully it will get better. I hope the stress can get better too. You're all in our prayers.

Sleeping pictures are the BEST. Looking at a sleeping child brings everything back into perspective for me-whats really important.

Marie said...

Dood...i feel his pain. I think Insomnia has to be one of the worst things. No matter how tired you are - still no sleep. SUPER frustrating, especially listening to everyone else say, "i am out as soon as me head hits the pillow" - stupid jerks!

Amy said...

Thank you for this post. Since the girls have been born, I have had horrible insomnia after never having a single problem my whole life. I have taken Lunesta, Rozerem, Trazedone and Ambien CR which I am currently back on after trying to do it on my own with no luck. I HATE having this problem and often find myself desperate for more than four hours a night and tired during the day. If Travis finds any method that starts working for him, please tell him to shoot me an email. It's HORRIBLE not to sleep. Tell Travis I'm up if he ever wants to catch up with the family.

The Gibbens said...

You know I've had issues with this in the past- it is the most miserable thing... I'm so sorry that he's having such trouble- I hate the stress level right now, I can't imagine that it can get worse, but I dont' want to find out either... maybe he needs a blessing... just a thought...

Meg said...

I love sleeping kid pictures! They always look so sweet. We'll pray that Travis can get some sleep.

Melissa Bosen said...

I had my eyes opened to this last year when I went several months of not being able to sleep. I would fall asleep right away (which is a blessing), but would consistently wake up 2 hours later and then every 10-15 minutes for the rest of the night. It was a nightmare and one of the most difficult things I have EVER gone through. Sleep is something that we desperately need and most of us take it for granted. I always hated when I would hear people ignorantly say that it never happens to them because they are SO TIRED that they just crash. What they don't understand is that Travis is THAT TIRED, IF NOT MORE SO and his body does not shut down. Imagine that. I sympathize and hope he finds a solution very soon. Ambien CR worked for me for a while because it is time-released but it too stopped working. I'm sure he's tried everything since it runs in the family. The only thing that brought me any comfort during that time was being grateful for the "rest" that I was getting. When I said my prayers in the morning, I could not say that I was thankful for the good sleep....but I could be thankful for the time to rest my body while lying in bed. Rest, even if it's not a restful mind, is better than nothing. Hang in there.

Melissa Bosen said...

This may be redundant, but consistent cardio exercise, warm bath at night, no TV/computer for an hour before bedtime, calcium supplement at night (relaxes muscles), trying to experience peace, comfort, joy, rest during the day....are all things I was told to do.