You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Thursday, January 8, 2009

GOALS!

Since it is 2009 we did our first home evening of the year on goal setting. I printed up the word G-O-A-L-S (one letter per page) and we talked about what they are and how we do them...it was a very simple discussion. In the meantime at the end we each set a goal Travis through Tyler (tyler doesn't know he set one, but he did). I wrote on each letter what our goal was so we could work on it for the month of January. We are going to report each week at home evening for the month. So the goals were as follows: Travis: read scriptures daily, Me: Say morning prayers ( suck at this), Hunter: practice karate every day, Gwendalin: Don't fight with Tyler, and Tyler: stop throwing fits, Dallin's isn't written up there but his is to start sleeping through the night :).

Hunter has been a gem at this, he reminds us each day about our goals and he's done really well at keeping up with his. Gwendalin is focused on it as well, she doesn't want to fight with Texas at all, so she gives him whatever he wants...not sure if that's a good strategy, but it's hers to accomplish her goal.

As for me, I have done perfect so far...and here are a few more of my own for the year:
Read the Book of Mormon twice
Eat more fish (it's so good for you, but i hate it, I am going to learn to like it)
Clean less
Work out 3 times a week for 52 weeks

I can't make too many or I get overwhelmed...

7 comments:

JakenDebbie said...

Awesome goals! I need to be better about teaching my kids about goal-setting. Let me know if you find any fish that you like -- I have a hard time with it, too! :)

Kari said...

Oh Marie, your little ones are so darling. And what a great idea for FHE. Hope you dont mind if I steal it. :) So glad to catch up with your cute family.

Mary said...

thanks for inspiring me with the goals. i keep telling myself i want to come up with a word that our family can live by this year. Hmm, still stumped! Great posts!

Travis and Marie said...

good plan... i'll likely steel the idea as well... there are just SOOOOO many areas that need attention... where to begin... where to begin...

The Gibbens said...

ooops! I totally spaced that commenting on your blog from your computer would register it as being YOUR comment! Well, it just looks like you thought your own idea was a good one! yay for you! ;-).... I decided I'll let you think up great FHE's and we'll always be one week behind your family- good idea, huh? (I'm kidding of course- it will be nice to have 2 parent home evenings when Matthew goes to days... I'm a bad single parent....)

Jake and Lynn said...

I love goals! What a fun way to teach your kids. Just another idea that I'm stealing from you to use in my own family when my kids are older.

Gretch said...

Great idea and great goals! Good luck!