You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Monday, June 24, 2013

Red Mesa...

 
We got to take the kids to the ranch where grandpa grew up.  He was there with us, which was a plus, because he told many stories of his childhood....burning houses down, making chickens swim, etc.  The kids were utterly intrigued.  We didn't venture into the milk house where they used to milk the cows...there were several windows broken and it looked to rickety and dangerous but the kids saw the outside and threw rocks on the roof.  After that we were able to go down to the creek and play barefoot in the water.  I got to hold Abby's hand (Jason's youngest) as Jason's bare feet couldn't handle the creekbed.  :)  My Texas LOVED the creek...he stayed in looking for creatures until we made him get out.    It made for a really fun morning doing the ranch and then the creek....we concluded the day with the Alpine slides!  In the evening on the last night  we went to my cousin's house just outside Durango and had dinner (made by Aunt Chris and her family) and then had karaoke entertainment by all!  Even I got drug up there...singing songs I never knew existed because several of my cousins are about a generation ahead of me in life.  Oh, and we also did a little hayride out to the "sacred tree" where my great gm and gp Slade were able to get there bearings and find there way home when they thought they were lost for good.  It was sad to see the land so dry, but the place itself (Redmesa) is still one that will always have fond memories for me.  Everywhere we went to each activity for this reunion we had family....and on this last night Dallin looked around and said "Why are these same people every where we go?"  He was so flustered by it!
 













































1 comment:

Gibbens said...

I do love this post, and that place, and all of the great pic you got, and the people in the pics.... love me some Colorado.....