You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Wednesday, September 16, 2009

They are happening if you're looking...

Miracles that is. Most of my loyal readers know that we have had a rough year and by rough that really is quite an understatement. Thing is...everything that happened was as a result of nothing that we did. It's called the "trickle affect." See if you own a company and the "big dogs" you did work for decide not to pay you- it can to some damage to a small company like ours. Anyway, through the year there have been lots of miracles that have happened and I don't want to forget what they were.

  • I couldn't cut our paycheck until the 1st of the month and I had a week left of the month we were in. I had 1/4 tank of gas and knew I couldn't fill my tank until the 1st, so it had to last - and wouldn't you know it -it did. It shouldn't have, but it did.
  • I was almost out of laundry soap and once again had to wait for a chance for a paycheck ( I say a chance because that's what it is, we hope our customers pay, cause if they don't - we don't have anything to live on.) Anyway, the laundry soap felt empty (Literally) and somehow it kept going and going until I had the money to buy more.
    The above 2 examples remind me of the story where the lady fed the prophet with her last bit of flour and her jar never ran out.
  • We were wondering how to pay for swimming lessons or how to pay for whatever other thing was coming ( I can't remember) and I got a letter in the mail with some cash in - it just said here's some summer money for your family. And another Godsend was someone who said they were going to pay for swimming so don't worry about it.
  • My kids needed school clothes. Someone in our ward made an announcement that they had hords of boy clothes they didn't need and to come look if we needed any. We looked and we scored. I didn't spend a cent on school clothes for Hunter.
  • I had some baby equipment (swings, clothes, bouncer, saucer, etc.) that I took to the second hand place...I got a credit - purchased some clothes for Gwennie, Tyler, and Dallin and it came out to almost exactly what they gave me in credit.
  • I have prayed more fervently and realized that I recognize the spirit and it's not just me thinking I'm crazy when I have thoughts.
  • I looked hard for a job, went to interviews, competed with people who have PHD's for entry level positions and never got hired. You may be thinking that that is not a blessing, however I assure you that it is, and the Lord's hand was in it, because something else came up and it was a better fit all around for our family.
  • I got this crazy idea (the spirit) to do a triathlon. I've never considered doing one or desired to do one. However, the vigorous training that I did for 3 months to get ready for it was such a blessing in coping with the stress that we were under.

I'm sure that there are more examples that I am forgetting. But those are just a few. We are so fortunate! Life couldn't be better! Yes, there is lots of stress, but my kids are healthy and happy and life is good.

7 comments:

katie said...

Marie,

I just love you. I think your attitude is amazing!!! We have spoken a little so I know we both know we have been in the same spots as you. I can tell you that being in Star is a miracle!! We have had countless miracles in Star. It is an amazing place. We cannot wait to get back. Miracles are Heavenly Father's ways to remind us that HE loves us.

See ya soon.
Love ya,
Katie

The Gibbens said...

Rupe- You will be glad that you documented these! Another miracle, at least for me, is a renewed comittment to attend the temple- and you are my temple going buddy- You are in many thought and prayers of so many- and I just keep feeling that the company must pull through in the end, right? i hope you know that you are so loved by so, so many- hope you don't mind this comment- don't post it if it's too personal- that's the beauty of you having control of that! I need to read your blog more, and write on mine more!

Marie said...

It really is amazing how much closer we get to the spirit when we are going through hard times and we can clearly see the everyday miracles in our lives. Good for you for seeing the good things even though life is extremely difficult right now. You are an amazing person. i love you dood!! You are a miracle to me :)

Kristin said...

How wise you are to be able to step back from this craziness we call life and be able to see all the tender mercies the Lord has given you. Thank you for reminding me to do the same!

Meg said...

It was great to read about those miracles. They do happen and it's always such a nice reminder that they do.

Robby and Mary said...

D&C 58: 2-4 is one of my favorite scriptures pertaining to our faith and trials. Keep living righteously and it will work out. We love you. Thanks for everything you have done for us. Even when you have almost nothing, you're still giving to others. We have the same type of miracles that hard work and the Lord can provide. We need to start praying for the boys to get a big elk so we can have some meat! :-)

Brigg and Dianne said...

Such a sweet post. I makes me want to stop and count all of my blessings. It was wonderful to see you back in September!