You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Friday, May 22, 2009

Litte Boys and "Stuff"

What is it with little boys and stuff? I mean really...I don't understand collecting pop tops, or rolls of paper off of fruit by the foot, old papers, cards, etc. but little boys love it. I went into Hunter's room this morning to find on his floor a pile of sticks laid in some sort of order - they weren't there yesterday,which means he likely brought them home from school and laid them out exactly as he needed them to be. I had to sanp a shot. A few months ago I bought him a rubbermaid tub to put his "stuff" in- it holds a collection of small things: plastic balls, tops of glass root beer bottles, pokemon cards, lego instructions, wadded up kleenex, bottle tops, etc. I have asked if we could clean it out, but everything is very special to him. So, here it remains, little boys and thier stuff....I love the kid!

Tyler is the same way - he doesn't collect so much as he always has something in his hand: dinosaurs, cars, something small so he can sleep with it.

6 comments:

Heidelweiss said...

I cannot tell you how grateful I am for this post! Here I've been thinking Will is a regular nutter for his "stuff". We call him "prop boy" because he always has some sort of prop with him-a sword, a marble, a dinosaur, a rock, a "diamond"... Good heavens, I thought he had a disorder :). Pleased to know it's normal. And rather funny.

heatherann said...

What is with them? I will never understand them! Max collects the milk lids and the thing that you take off to open it, so odd! But we love them for it. It makes them them!

Melissa said...

Totally. Jacob always has "stuff" (which to me would be trash and to him is treasure). He has a shoe box under his bed and it is always full. Aren't boys so funny!

JakenDebbie said...

It's good to know it's just a boy thing. When we cleaned out Tyler's room to move things around, I could not believe all the "stuff" we found. Why are wrappers such an important keepsake? Trash seems to be their greatest treasure! I was kind of mean and threw away most of it when he wasn't in the room. Thankfully, the room switch has been exciting enough that he hasn't noticed his random stuff is long gone. Not to worry, I'm sure it will pile up again. :)

The Gibbens said...

That's too funny... it's probably why boy scouts are always prepared... they have "stuff"

Melissa Bosen said...

Last year Preston asked if his name could be changed to Preston Treasure-hunter Bosen. Nice. I did a post about it a while back with some of the examples of what I find on a daily basis. It's funny. I have to clean out his drawers every few weeks. Of course, when he's not around. But I know him well enough now to know which ones are extra special and which ones can be tossed without his recollection. :)