You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Calm

For the last few weeks I have been in a real frazzle. I can't concentrate, I am super stressed, crying constantly, yelling at my kids, crying in line at the store when people take too long to check out and I have to wait, etc. etc. Anyway, I have felt horrible about it and wondered what I could do to get out of the slump - now don't get me wrong I believe I have a legitimate reason to be in a slump - there's a lot happening in my life right now that is completely out of my control, but I can't continue taking it out on my kids and other patrons at the supermarket.

So on Mother's day, mom and dad invited Tricia's family and my family to dinner...it was lovely, we ate outside! Anyway, after dinner we got talking (Tricia, Me, Mom, and Dad) while the kids were playing and Travis and Matthew had gone for a few moments, and Tricia and I both got on the subject of going to the temple...we decided we were going to go -THIS WEEK. So, mom and dad said they would divide and conquer our kids - dad came to my house and mom went to Tricia's house. We went to the temple Tuesday morning and did one endowment session.

Can I please tell you, my day yesterday (day of the session) was so much better than days passed. There are still the stresses I mentioned above, however, there was a calm about me that made the day great. I was more patient with my kids, I just didn't seem so disjointed. I am glad we made the time to do it- it has literally calmed my soul - there was nothing spectacular about the session, nothing awe inspiring (Except the little old man's constant hearing aid beeping during the session), it was just exactly what I needed to have a little peace in this storm that I am currently weathering.

Thanks mom and dad for watching the kids, thanks Trish for going with me! The calm has come and hopefully will last until we go again next month. I can't go that long without going again...it's too big of a price to pay.

11 comments:

Heather said...

Maybe that is my issue! I haven't been in forever. Too embrassed to say how long. We too are dealing with huge issues. I try not to talk about it and hope they go away - or maybe it's my pride that gets in the way.

Jake and Lynn said...

That makes me so happy and motivates me to get to the temple more. I know exactly what you mean, when I go after a long time I just sit in there and think "oh my gosh I miss this feeling". You're so lucky to Mom and Dad so close. Love you ....

Heidelweiss said...

That's the best feeling in the world. I'm so glad you found some peace.

The Gibbens said...

It was a great day! I'm excited about our new goal- and thankful that I have a sister who will go with me! I hope that I never again have such a time gap between visits to House of the Lord... it's renewing in so many ways.... hmmm, the church leaders really do know what they're talking about!

Gretch said...

I am so sorry for what ever the reasons are that you have been under so much stress. But, I am so happy you were able to go to the Temple and feel "the calm" I hope things get better and that you can continue to feel the peace that the Temple brings. You've inspired me to get to the Temple as well, it has been too long for me also. Having little ones does that, but H is getting old enough now that I should and will.

Marie said...

I am so glad you were able to go. The temple always makes me feel better. I am so sorry life is such a mess right now. You are amazing!

Melissa Bosen said...

Thanks for your example to all of us, Marie!
It's been a few months for me too because I've just been too sick. But I am really looking forward to going next time. Mike & I LOVE to eat at the cafeteria (homemade vegetable soup and cornbread is my favorite) and then do sealings. It's amazing. It would be neat to get all the old friends together one of these days and do sealings with our husbands together.

SladeMomma said...

That was a lovely, thoughtful post. Thanks for sharing the reminders. Even though we have a temple "close", it takes a minimum of 6 hours to drive there, do a session and return, and much longer if there is traffic. We try really hard to go once a month, but even with an empty nest those 6 hr blocks are scarce. Maybe I should move to Utah.

Mary said...

Love the title makes me crave the temple! love your insight too, wish all mom's could escape to the temple!

Melissa said...

it's crazy to me that I live just over an hour away from the temple but the only time I go is when we are in Phoenix. This is because you actually have to sign up to go to the temple, What? Plan Ahead!! And then to get a babysitter blah blah on and on, of course there are a lot of excuses. But I agree. I always know it's so worth it! crud that reminds me. IT's time to renew!

Brigg and Dianne said...

I'm so glad you were able to go. It truly is such a blessing in so many ways, and how blessed we are to have temples close enough to go often. I'm sorry things hve been rough for you lately. Know that I love you and you and your family are in my prayers.