You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Saturday, May 10, 2008

Motherhood...

Every year since I have had children, mother's day has taken on new meaning. I will be brutally honest...it (motherhood) was not an easy transition for me. I would go so far as to say I didn't even enjoy it for a few years. I still think about the birth of my oldest and have fond memories but wonder why the Lord would let mothers bond with their children (while in the womb) and then have post pardom depression the initial "blow" of motherhood takes you over and you as a person disappear forever and are now known to these little ones as Mom....you are never again - Marie. It was a difficult adjustment for me...lots of ups and downs (still even). However, in looking at it now (only 6 years later) I wouldn't trade any of it. Even the emotional aftermath of each child. I don't have dinner on the table every night at the same time - sometimes there is no dinner, I don't get them bathed every night, sometimes they smell and I am too tired, I don't keep my house as clean as I did before they entered my life, but it's still a home where they are safe and loved, some days I get nothing done except for holding a sick child for the better part of the day - and then I think - I didn't get "nothing" done - I held a small child that won't be so small for very long - so I regroup my thoughts and cherish that moment. I love being a mom it has been quite the road and will still be a long road - but there is nothing I would rather be doing with my time.

This is how I feel on a daily basis- fly by the seat of my pants because I have no clue what I am doing....

I love to watch my children: Tyler goes to the garage every night and gets Aggie's food bowl (one of the dogs) he brings it to Travis willing and ready to help feel both animals.... Gwendalin gets so excited she can hardly stand herself when she is trying to make up her latest serenade (she gets that from Travis), and Hunter is so full of energy for life it's contagious and sometimes hard for him to contain...I hope their enthusiasm never diminishes.

Now for a small tribute to two mothers in my life who have blessed me beyond measure. First my mother in law -


Now here is a woman wise beyond me (as are most) but she was put into a situation after having two of her own children and made a family consisting of biologically 4 different sets of parents work - each child loves their parents and they love each other...none refer to each other as "step" but rather as brother or sister...they have testimonies and strong background of love for the gospel. I was so fortunate to get one of these sweet people as my husband and I appreciate so much her hard work and dedication in raising such a wonderful man who I get to call mine. I love this woman like my own mother!

Now - my mom -

What do you say to a person who has raised you to the state at which you now find yourself? Bounds and bounds of gratitude I feel towards my mom now more than ever since I have embarked on this journey called motherhood. She was always willing and ready to jump into any occasion that we were interested in. She gave me a foundation on which to build my testimony, set a very Christlike example of love and service through her whole life...suffered much trial and tribulation and yet managed to come out on top of it all. I can think of no one more suited for the role of a mother than my own. I strive every day to take on my task like she took on hers! Thanks mom!

Happy mother's day to all moms - this includes my dearest friend Marie who is also a mother figure to my kids!

13 comments:

Heidelweiss said...

That was great, Marie. What a fabulous tribute-it gave me chills.

SladeMomma said...

Because I know your mom, I know the things you said about her are true. Your family is truly blessed to have wonderful parents as great examples and great friends, although a ways away at the moment. What I've learned about you through reading your blog is that your children are truly blessed in the very same way. It is a wonderful heritage to pass down.

slades said...

thank you Marie for you beautiful comments. I too had a great Mom to learn from. Luckily we all have the blessing of learning from the prior generation. You are a good Mom and have beautiful children love you

Marie said...

You are seriously such a good mom, I don't think you give yourself enough credit for what an awesome job you do at raising your kids AND keeping your house clean. You're my hero and inspiration!!
AND I too LOVE your mom and mother-in-law. They are both incredible women.
Your mom is like my 2nd mom and I love her like she is mine :)

The Gibbens said...

Marie- thanks for making me cry! Mom's are a special breed- and you are one of the best that i know, you are an example to me on a daily basis- thanks for such a beautiful post.

Rich Angie said...

Wow, what a great tribute! I appreciate your honesty...it helps us new moms feel better when days are not as easy as you make it look.

Danae said...

Marie,
I found your blog while viewing Mary's. I'm so glad. Your family is darling!! We are getting a blog up and running soon. I'll lend it to you. Danae Echols

Brigg and Dianne said...

What a sweet post! I really enjoyed reading this one. You are such a good mom, Marie!

Kari said...

I love your face in that picture, and I know you are a great Mom. Motherhood is very hard at times and so wonderful at others! You explained it all so well! Happy Mother's day to you!!

Heather said...

What a great post Marie!! I am sure you are the best mom there is! You have always been an upbeat and wonderful person to be around and I am sure your family feels th same way!!

Jake and Lynn said...

Thanks for the insight. Coming from one who is just starting out with my own kids it's nice to know that other people are taking it one day at a time too. And amen to the good Mom we had. She really was well suited for all of us. I love you sister and just so you know you are such a great Mom.

Gretch said...

What a GREAT post! Thanks Marie! I had no idea you had the baby blues? I'm glad that you can still look back and love motherhood. I know now having kids that it is the most challenging thing you can ever do but still the most rewarding. Happy Mother's Day and thanks again for the such a sweet and honest post!

Meg said...

I loved reading that, Marie. Thanks for reminding me of how important motherhood is. And your kids are so cute, btw!