You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Friday, November 2, 2007

Life's Little Surprises.

So, there are no pictures for this post, but more of an emotional release for me. I just found out yesterday that one of my dear friends has cancer on one of her kidneys. I don't know all of the details except that the recommendation is to have the kidney removed along with several other spots that are present on her lungs and liver. As I sat and listened to her say this I cried with her on her couch and wondered ( as I always do when life throws these things at us) why there is so much pain and suffering. However...she is so upbeat and positive about everything and there are so many things to be grateful for that pain and suffering can't really be the focus. I haven't known her very long and we are at total opposites of the spectrum of life. I am 28 with 3 small children and she is retired with 2 grown daughters and 5 grandchildren. But of this I am certain - we were friends in the pre-existence. I love her and I pray for her daily. The one thing that killed me, other than that fear of the unknown is that she was concerned about not being able to watch my children grow up. She is not a member of the church, but such a good person! So, today as a tribute for November and being thankful- I am thankful for life's little surprises that make me grateful for things I often take for granted. I am especially grateful for her and her upbeat positive attitude on life - why can we not all be that way?

6 comments:

Heather said...

OH Marie I am so sorry to hear this. Sounds like she is a great friend!

Jake and Lynn said...

Thanks for the reminder...Life gets so busy sometimes those bumps in the road are very much needed to remind us what it is all about.

TheSlades said...

rude dog. a tribute that nice doesn't need to have pictures. i am not sure who it is, but i know they are lucky you are their friend.

Lindsey said...

I am really sorry to hear about your friend...we just had a dear friend of ours battle breast cancer, and she too had a positive outlook!!! I believe that her attitude had alot to do with her recovery, besides her incredible faith!!!! I hope that all goes well with your friend, and I will keep her in our prayers!!!!

slades said...

I too love this lady and you for being who you are.

Gretch said...

What a touching post. Thank you for the remind-life really is so precious. I'm so sorry about your friend. It sounds like your friend is lucky to have you-I'll pray for her and for you to know how to help in her time of need.