You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Saturday, January 3, 2015

Old Soul


We got home from SLC tournament and were getting ready for bed tonight.  We had scriptures and family prayer and then I went to make my rounds tucking everyone in.  I got to Tyler’s bed and he was crying.  Obviously I was concerned so I asked him what was wrong.  Here’s hour our conversation went:
Tyler:  I didn’t know I was supposed to repent every day.  What if I forgot something and didn’t repent and now I can’t go to heaven?  (all of this while crocodile tears are streaming down his cheeks)
Me: Oh buddy, it’s ok.  Everyone is just trying every day and even me and dad aren’t perfect.  We still have to repent every day when we make mistakes, and you didn’t know how it worked yet.  What matters is that you have a good heart and Heavenly Father sees that in you – he sees that you are so upset right now and he is happy that you want to be so good.  I promise you will still go to heaven if you keep trying.  You just have to keep trying your hardest, and now that you know you should try to repent every time you make a mistake, you can try to do that.
He seemed satisfied at that point, but I felt awful.  I was in tears by the end of the conversation.  He is the sweetest gentlest soul.  I’ve told many of his teachers that he has an “old soul” – and he does….just wise and wants to be good so bad.


No comments: