You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hunter's piano recital and big project


Hunter came home from school the other day in these clothes. They are not what I sent him to school in. Apparently he was playing at recess (either soccer or football) and slid into dog poop and these are the clothes he got from the nurse...he said he picked them. They were so nice. He wanted to pose for the fashion shot. He had his first big project last month. It was to build 10 landforms out of salt dough. He had to label them and paint them and then make a poster defining each item on his diagram. I made the dough and offered some suggestions (like the toothpicks) and he did everything. He was super discouraged because when he got to school he saw that some of the projects were perfectly molded. I knew after talking to another parent that thier student didn't have "time" and so they were doing most of it for them. Well, after hearing how discoraged he was over his project I e-mailed the teacher because I wanted her to know how hard he worked on it and that he had done it ALL on his own. He ended up with a great grade and lots of good praise. I was proud of him and upset at other parents who did the project for their kids.






I had a video of Hunter's recital (he did awesome!) but it won't upload- so here's just a quick picture of him during his performance.


4 comments:

The Gibbens said...

I'm so proud of him! How diligent to do that whole sculpture, despite his frustrations... and the piano recital- I wish the video would upload, how fun for you.

The Oman Family said...

Your Mom told me the story about his project this weekend. That is great that he did it all and that the teacher praised him for it. I don't understand why parents do projects for their kids. If they don't have time to do their homework, then you have over scheduled them. I am glad it worked out for him!

JakenDebbie said...

I am laughing so hard about Hunter coming home in different clothes! That happened to Anna in 1st grade...a poor little girl threw up all over her and four other kids during story time. I had to go pick Anna up because it was in her hair. Ew. And she was in a lovely shirt from the nurse.:) I wish I would have taken a picture like you did to remember it. Ha! :)

Melissa Bosen said...

That is so funny--love his choice of clothes!
That's awesome that he did the project all on his own. We had a similar experience. There's a big gray area of helping & teaching but letting them do their own work. I think it's CRAZY that parents basically do the project for them! What is that teaching them??