You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Friday, July 3, 2009

Sisters


There really is nothing like sisters. I have been reflecting lately on how blessed I am to have such great siblings. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters. I love them all and have what I consider a really good relationship with each of them. But there is just something about the way you can talk with your sisters and relate to them.
I am in the middle of my sisters. There's Tricia who is 5 years older than I am and then me and then Lynn who is 5 years younger than I. The picture at the top of this post was taken in January of 1999, at the airport before I left for my semester in London - 10 years ago!
The thing about sisters is you go through so many of the same things, maybe at different times, but then you can relate to the other when they go through that trial later. For instance, growing up we all (including my brothers) had HORRID acne. Trish, Lynn, and I all ended up on a perscription to help fix it. We all reacted differently to it, but we all related when we were in the middle of peeling our faces off as a result of this God sent medication. We joke about it now and reflect back to how fortunate we were to be able to even take it. That's really a very trivial example, but now we are all grown with kids of our own and we find ourselves comparing notes in child behavior, bouncing ideas off eachother to hopefully make better decisions, crying with eachother during our hard times, encouraging eachother to be better, and loving eachother without judgement inspite of our weaknesses.
A few of us have had financial struggles, a few struggles in relationships, etc. Whatever the case one or the other of us can be there to fall back on and relate to. What a blessing my sisters are to me!
I am slightly sad that my Gwendalin will not have the same luxury of sisters as I did and do, but she's got me and hopefully she will be close to me as I have found myself close to my mom like my sisters.
So, Trish and Lynn if you are reading know that I am so grateful for you two. Thanks for being you and putting up with me.

7 comments:

The Gibbens said...

Awww! Thank you! I love the sisterhood too- I love every chance I have to be with you guys, or to talk to you. We need a weekend!!! I love you both so much- sure hope you each know it!!

Marie said...

Even though I have always had flawless skin, I still LOVE you & your sisters...you are like MY sisters!!

Melissa Bosen said...

I didn't mind too much that I only had brothers...until I started having kids. I have cried many, many tears in the past 7 years--feeling sorry for myself that I don't have that.
Thank goodness for old girlfriends or I'd be a mess. :)

heatherann said...

There is nothing like a sister!! You can fight like crazy and then cry all over each other! It's great! And Gwennie has lots of girl cousins..

The {Prince} Family said...

Yes I agree.... SISTERS ARE THE BEST! Funny because I just did a post like this too. LOVE my sistas! :)

Oh and go see My sisters keeper with your sisters. You will cry. I promise!

Jake and Lynn said...

Marie, that is seriously the sweetest post. I LOVE my sisters so much too. There is nothing like you guys and I'm so happy that we have eachother. I'm with Trish, We've got to have a sisters weekend!!!! As for Gwennie having no sissies, she will have awesome cousins and Aunties(and an awesome Mom) so she can have plenty of girl weekends with us!

SladeMomma said...

Ditto about the sisters, and you are all three so beautiful!