You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Trek Day 3

Day 3!  Red got to lead out as we left camp on day 3.  And our first task was (what I felt) the worst hill . mountain we had climbed the entire journey.  It was so strenuous that we had to stop our cart 3 times and block the wheels so we could rest and regroup before climbing again.  It was hard.  Thinking about how hard that climb was - we were thrilled to reach the top, only to round the corner and see a man and wife digging a grave for their infant child.  I tried to make it fake...but the image was too real.  I cried and I cried...I knew it was a doll and not a real baby, but I couldn't imagine trekkiing such a difficult trek and losing a child along the way.  Travis had just gotten into some thorny bushes, so I picked thorns out of his shirt and cried over that loss of that baby.


At the top of the hill while we waited for the rest of the caravan to climb that hill- our little family played games and sat around our cart (while Travis dried his socks) and chatted and laughed and told stories...this is one of the times I wish I had my camera.  Jaden was playing with his button toy, the girls were giggling at stories that Travis told...the boys were intrigued with the Hunting stories and I wish I could've captured some of those moments.

Brother Brigham Young visited us during lunch on the third day.  I appreciated his remarks so much- one thing he said specifically pricked my heart- as he concluded he said "Brothers and Sisters our Heavenly Father is ACUTELY aware of you...each of you.  He knows your struggles,you joys, your anguishes and heartaches."  I loved that he used that word "Acutely"- he made me cry - I felt peace and I knew it was true.
Towards the end of the day we had a devotional about the "Sweetwater Crossing" that the pioneers did.  We didn't have water to go through so they had pictures, music and stories that were amazing.  Really inspiring.  The middle violinist here is Georgi.

As we neared the end of the day - each company had their own devotional.  Our Bishop started us out with some remarks and then let each of the 4 Red Pa's take a few moments.  Travis spoke so sweetly about our experience, about how he loved our kids and how great they were, and how his testimony was strengthened by this experience.  It was sweet - our company truly was amazing!


Tanner during our Red Company devotional.


The rest of the pictures are not necessarily from day 3 - but I wanted to make sure I included all the photos that had our family in them.  




Our sweet company commander (Bishop Perkins, 70 and his wife  Sunny) - the walked every bit with us.  AMAZING!







love my girls (Hannah, Lydia, Georgi, and Julia) L-R




My feet took such a beating...this is before I showered on the night we got home.


The Entire Company (Star Stake Trekkers)

 Red company - during one stop along the way.


No comments: