You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. some may be significant only to you. some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience. - President Hinckley



Thursday, November 11, 2010

Defeated...

I have never been one that likes to cook. I can bake all day long and it will taste good and life is grand, but cooking meals - just not my thing. Although Hunter did tell me once that something I made tasted like it was by a "professional cooker". :) I wake up in the morning and realize that I am responsible again for dinner that night. It's so discouraging. I loathe it. I don't think I would mind if I enjoyed it or if I had recipes my family would like.

Last night we had a take and bake pizza from the grocery store and when Hunter asked what was for dinner I told him pizza. His response "Finally something good for dinner!" I don't feel bad about it because I know I am not Betty Crocker or Mr. Stouffer - I told Travis what Hunter said and he laughed (as I would expect) but then he said "You make the best chicken I've ever tasted." I am frequently mocked because I cook a lot of chicken...and I know Travis gets sick of it. I like it because it's lean and it's not fish - so yes, it gets made a lot. He was being a little sarcastic when he said what he said.

I think I do a pretty good job at most of the things I take on - cleaning, organizing, loving on my kids, payroll taxes, business related tasks, etc. but in this one area I know I am failing miserably. LIke tonight for instance, Travis won't be home until 7 so I will likely bust out the tortillas and cheese and make quesidillas. I could eat a sweet potato for dinner every day, yogurt for breakfast, and some turkey slices for lunch...however, I am now responsible for 5 people that don't enjoy eating those things all the time...and so they suffer through my chicken experiments and somehow gag them down.

I remember when I got married and I was still under the "happily ever after" spell - my Aunt Debbie said "I remember when I woke up one morning after I was married and it occured to me that I am responsible for dinner every night for the rest of my life." I laughed, now I just cringe at the truthfulness of that statement. I think because I don't enjoy it I don't want to spend any length of time on it....But I don't want to be considered lazy by anyone because I don't have gourmet dinners on the table every night or at least dinners that include all of the food groups-

I have this fear of having to go back to work. It literlly causes severe anxiety and panic for me. I am afraid that I won't be good at anything. And we aren't even contemplating this at the moment, but maybe if I think it through all the time, it won't really happen. Anyway, then I see myself falling short in many aspects of motherhood and think - maybe I should be working outside my house....I might be better suited. Then it passes and I realize how stupid I sound. And the "blah blah blah" echoes in my head.

So, if you have healthy recipes that are easy and take 30 minutes or less....send them my way. I will keep trying but I am sorely defeated lately at this particular motherly task.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

I SOOOOOOOO hear you on this! My problem though is not that I dislike making dinner, I dislike the planning of meals! My hubby and I have such different tastes in food, which makes it even more difficult! And then I have one child that there are days, in which the only thing she has is chocolate milk! Literally! So needless to say this is not my favorite part of Marriage/Motherhood!

The Gibbens said...

wanna know what I made for dinner last night? (first you have to know that it was my goal this week to have dinner done each night so that Matthew didn't have to come home and go straight to cooking... I've already failed at that...) last night it was chicken tenders cut up in a pan, then a can of seasoned diced tomatos (like I put in taco soup) and then a small can of hot green chili's, then bread crumb topping topped off with mozerella cheese..... yummmm? not really, it was an experiment that got better with the adding of sour cream... the kids had left over speghetti from the night before and Matthew cooked tonight... I suck... at least you do good chicken! (no sarcasm... I do it too... and Matthew teases me that I always boil it.... whatever- you're fine.

The Gibbens said...

Oh!!! and the topic of convo at dinner tonight- what to eat when your family visits... I need to know what they will eat? are they picky on certain stuff? kids, trav? Just let me know!

Brigg and Dianne said...

This is a struggle for so many moms, including myself. It's like a CONSTANT battle with Chaos, because even after you find a handful of easy, yummy recipes, they only last so long before everyone is sick of them. I'll put together what I have that my kids like and send you an e-mail. Love you so much!!!

Meg said...

Oh, Marie, I know the feeling. We make quesadillas a lot at our house, too. You're awesome. Don't worry!

Here's a recipe we like. Bean Casserole (I know! Beans for kids?! But Christian, Ira, Noelle and I LOVE this. Ame will eat a few bites, but that's Ame).

1 can salsa
corn tortillas
3 cans beans-or make your own (we like black, pinto, and garbanzo)
cheese

Rinse beans, mix with salsa (you can also add olives, green chiles, or chicken, etc). Spread a layer of this on the bottom of your pan. Layer corn tortillas on top, then layer cheese. Layer beans, then tortillas, then cheese again. Bake until cheese is melted.

Heather said...

If I have a menu for the week I really don't mind cooking dinner. We eat all kinds of things...this week...Bratwurst stew (so good), creamy chicken casserole, chicken on stove top, chicken broccoli stir fry, and taco soup, . Every Friday is pizza night! I have lots of easy recipes so if you want any of them let me know. I find a lot of my recipes online try them out on the family and if they like them add them to my recipe box if not throw them away.

Melissa said...

Meatloaf.
taco salad.
Spaghetti and french bread.
Super Easy Chicken Cordon Bleau
Potato Soup
Shepherd's Pie
Smothered Burritos



I plan to have 2 super easy dinners a week, because i know something will happen. The crockpot saves my life. And my sister in law Kara is a constant source of ideas. And I do a menu. It's the only way I survive. But my menu is versatile, I can totally switch one day for another if something comes up. If I know what were having, and I have the ingredients in my fridge because I planned ahead with a menu before I went shopping Dinner isn't such an overwhelming task. I also have started having Abby and Rachel help me in the kitchen. They cut up veggies, or set the table. It gives me more of a boost to actually get it all done.

Super easy Chicken Cordon Bleau.

Cut up chicken...raw
put in 9x13

Layer ontop
Ham sliced
mozzarella cheese

mix together 1/2 cup parmesean cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I smash crutons)
and a little dried parsley.
Pour over the top.
Drizzle with melted butter
Cook 375
about 30 minutes.
Serve with salad, or sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, or any vegetable.

We make a lot of chicken too,
Or I use ground turkey instead of ground beef in a lot of recipies.